The Pandorica Opens (pt 2)

Above ground, the night sky was exploding with light from thousands, and perhaps even millions of starships. It was almost blinding to look at.

"What do we do?" Amy asked, beginning to panic.

"Doctor, listen to me! Everything that's ever hated you is coming here tonight. You can't win this. You can't even fight it. Doctor, this once, just this one time, please, you have to run. And this has to include you, Nova." I refused to tell River of my knowledge, but she was highly skeptical if we would make it out alive. I almost shared her suspicion.

"Where would we go?" I tried explaining.

"How would you fight?!" River shouted.

The Doctor pulled out his binoculars and peered out over the hill. "The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."

"What is? The Daleks?" Amy asked.

"No! No, no..." The Doctor looked out without his binoculars. "The Romans!"

888

I left with River to try to get to the TARDIS, not wanting her to be alone if I could help it. I had to admit that when I looked at her—there was something familiar there, and it had nothing to do with the fact that I had once seen her on TV.

When we dismounted from our horses, two soldiers held up swords in front of us in an X formation, preventing us from going any further, and we were led into the tent.

"So, I return to my command after one week and discover we've been playing host to Cleopatra... and Arsinoe. Who were in Egypt. And dead!" The commander barked at us.

"Yes." River admitted, with a cold tone in her voice. "Funny how things work out."

The ground shook as a whirring sound came from overhead, which I knew to be the sound of more ships arriving. The Roman commander glared. "The sky is falling and you make jokes. Who are you?"

"Good question," I shrugged.

"When you fight Barbarians, what must they think of you?" River glared back.

"Oh, riddles now?" The Commander boomed.

"Where do they think you come from?" River pressed.

The commander drew his sword threateningly. "A place more deadly and more powerful and more impatient than their tiny minds can imagine!"

River pulled out her disintegrator gun and shot it at a cabinet, which in turn, disappeared, as if proving that her sword was bigger and better than his. The guards were stunned. "Where do I come from? Your world has visitors. You're all Barbarians now."

"What is that? Tell me, what!" The commander demanded, pointing his sword directly at her.

"A fool would say, the work of the gods. But you've been a soldier too long to believe there are gods watching over us. There is, however, a man, and this woman," River gestured to me, and I smiled, forgetting I was included in these things now. "And tonight they're going to need your help."

"Sir?" A roman voice called from outside, and I recognized it.

"One moment," The commander pointed his sword at both River and I, before heading towards the doorway.

The commander and the Roman I knew to be Rory mumbled for a moment, before he turned back to us. "Well, it seems you have a volunteer."

888

Amy pulled out the ring box she found a few days earlier from her jacket pocket, and opened it, finally asking what she had been dying to know for a long time. "So..." She turned to the Doctor, who was studying the Pandorica. "Are you proposing to someone?"