Time of Angels (pt 3)

"Can you believe this? We're hunting statues," Christian complained as he slowly trudged into the small cave, his flashlight sweeping the area.

"Better than chasing lava snakes," Angelo retorted, shuddering at the memory.

"Actually, lava snakes weren't that bad," Christian remarked, as he moved his flashlight to see yet another statue. He continued on through the cave and out of Angelo's sight, the light on his rifle flickering.

Angelo, who didn't know what was happening anymore, heard something that sounded like... stone crashing, until he heard Christian again. "Who's there? Is someone there? Angelo?"

Christian turned his head back for just a second to call for Angelo again, and that was his grave mistake. "Angelo!" He called, but when he turned back, he was faced with the statue of an angry, hungry angel... who had just found some food.

His light went out.

Further back in the chamber, Angelo grew worried. "Christian, is that you?"

Angelo was just about to move again when his radio sparked to life. "Angelo, come and see this."

Normally, he would be relieved. His partner proved to be alive... but something about it just didn't feel right. It didn't really sound like something he would say, either. "What is it?"

"Just come and see it," Christian ordered over the radio, and that was when Angelo really got skeptical. This wasn't like Christian. Usually he was straight to the point.

"It's not a school trip. Just tell me."

"No, really, come and see."

Angelo sighed and followed anyway... his light going out before he realized it.

888

I was still standing with Amy while the Doctor and River went over readings, until a machine gun was fired. I was the first to run towards the noise, the Doctor, River, and Amy following.

It was a young cleric who fired the gun, and he looked like he regretted it. "Sorry. Sorry, I thought... I thought it looked at me."

Father Octavian walked up to him. "We know what the Angel looks like. Is that the Angel?" He asked sternly.

"No, sir." The cleric responded apologetically.

"No, sir, it is not! According to the Doctor, we are facing an enemy of unknowable power and infinite evil. So it would be good, it would be very good, if we could all remain calm in the presence of decor." Father Octavian seethed, though I knew that the statue wasn't just decor. I glanced at it warily, knowing that it was really just a dying angel, but soon it wouldn't be. 

The cleric was right. It did look at him.

"What's your name?" The Doctor asked him.

"Bob, sir."

"Ah, that's a great name. I love Bob," The Doctor smiled.

"It's a Sacred Name. We all have Sacred Names, they're given to us in the service of the Church." Father Octavian explained.

The Doctor walked between them. "Sacred Bob. More like Scared Bob now, eh?"

"Yes, sir." Bob responded politely.

"Ah, good. Scared keeps you fast. Anyone in this room who isn't scared is a moron. Carry on." The Doctor left.

"We'll be moving into the maze in two minutes. " Octavian announced, before turning to give an order to Bob. "You stay with Christian and Angelo. Guard the approach."