Flesh and Stone (pt 2)

I heard the rapid beeping from River's machine that was scanning my health slow down to a small ding. "She's normalizing," River sighed in relief, "You did it... you did it!"

I really did feel better, and was able to sit up and almost stand, until River put a hand on my shoulder. "Still weak, dangerous to move her."

I sighed, feeling surprisingly much better but also weary of not being able to see. "When can I open my eyes again?"

As I sat on the rock I felt River and Amy on either side of me, and realized the Doctor was crouching right in front of me when I heard his voice. "Nova, listen to me. If you open your eyes now for more than a second, you will die. The Angel is still inside you. We haven't stopped it, we've just sort of...paused it. You've used up your countdown. You cannot open your eyes."

I felt both River and Amy's arms on my back and shoulder, trying to give me comfort, but I felt like I didn't deserve it. 

I heard Father Octavian call again. "Doctor, we're too exposed here. We have to move on."

The Doctor's voice sounded much farther than before. "We're exposed everywhere, and Nova can't move, and anyway, that's not the plan."

"What's the plan?" Amy asked.

"I don't know yet, I haven't finished talking. Right! Father, you and your Clerics will stay here, look after Nova. If anything happens to her, I'll hold each of you personally responsible, twice."

"No!" I protested. I remembered what would happen to all of the clerics if they stayed, and what I would have to do to get out, and probably horribly fail at. Everyone went silent, and I knew they were all waiting for an explanation. "Just let me go with you."

"With all due respect, Miss Nova, you'd slow us down." Father Octavian replied, his voice becoming farther away, River and Amy leaving my side.

"No, I can't stay, just don't worry about me, just let me follow," I argued.

I felt the Doctor sit next to me, and our shoulders and knees were touching. "You'll be safer here. We can't protect you on the move. I'll be back for you soon as I can. I promise,"

"Look, there's nothing stopping me from getting up and following you. Either I go with you, or..." I had to come up with another option, quick. I thought about the clerics and how they would be forgotten. "Or you let me stay here alone."

"Nova, people need to look at the angels to stop them, and someone should stay and protect you..."

"I don't need anyone to do that," I stated defensively, but I couldn't tell if I was lying. I was afraid of the angels, but for the most part, maybe I could protect myself. And if he wasn't going to let me go with him, I could at least get all the clerics out, and start walking away myself. Everyone lives. No one has to be erased from time.

"Oh god, I'll stay with her!" Amy huffed, sounding not too far behind me when I thought she was already gone on the path. I felt her sit next to me, and I could have sworn she crossed her arms. 

This was definitely worse.

"Us too," One of the clerics said, and I felt the Doctor move away from me.

"Okay, then. Good luck everyone. Behave. Do not let her open her eyes. And keep watching the forest. Stop those angels advancing. Amy, Nova, later," he pat my head. "River, going to need your computer!" he called, and with that, he was gone.

I knew Amy would want to walk up to the crack if she saw it, and I couldn't let her. She was daring and curious, and I feared she wouldn't think twice about walking right up to it and erasing herself from time and space, and I would be responsible for her death. I had to stop it.