Chapter 2: Preperations

Astrid's P.O.V 

(Mid Afternoon)

The dragons left yesterday for Snoggletog. I wish they didn't have to leave but I knew when they returned it would be with a mate and possibly hatchlings. Still a month is a long time to be away from your best friend. 

Hiccup must have noticed my inexcitement at decorating the great hall for the Snoggletog dance. 

"You know that you don't have to help me Astrid, I'm sure I can manage on my own if you would prefer to be some where else" he said though I could see that he only said the words to be polite.

"Nah it's fine Hiccup" I said trying to smile " I just miss Stormfly that's all" 

"Yeah I know how you feel" he looked like a lost little lamb, why was he so cute?

I imediatly wished I hadn't brought up the topic he just looked so upset.

"Hey" I said softly walking over and squeezing his shoulder. "Hiccup you know that Toothless is going to come back he has for the last three Snoggletogs what makes you think this year is any different." 

"It's not just that Astrid" he said looking at the ground "you all know that your dragons will come back with hatchlings, but with Toothless it's hard to say if he will ever find another of his kind." 

"There are still chances..."

"No Astrid there isn't any chance!" he shouted. I flinched Hiccup never shouted at anyone not even the twins, I could see he was imediatly sorry.

"Astrid I didn't mean to..." he began but I silenced him with a hug. Wait... I HUGGED HIM 

He stiffened but when I didn't let go for a while he relaxed and put his arms around me, resting his chin on my head.

We stood there for a few minutes just listening to each others breathing before someone cleared their throat.

"Mhhhm" said the voice

Hiccup and I jumped apart blushing furiously, there by the door stood Gobber.

"umm" I said 

"We were just..." Started Hiccup 

"I don't need explinations" said Gobber "I just need to have a word with Hiccup for a minute, in private" 

Hiccup left with Gobber through the great wooden door. Oh my Thor I just hugged Hiccup, I felt like I was going to melt, 'why does he have to be so amazingly cute and sweet and kind and... Arghhhhh why is he so perfect!' I screamed inside my head. 

I could now hear raised voices coming from outside, I crept up and listened quietly by the door. 

"...You just don't get it do you Gobber" I heard Hiccup saying loudly "I can't just ask her! Like she would say yes anyway" 

"Great Thor Hiccup have you really not noticed after all these years?" said Gobber in exasperation. "even a blind dragon could see how she feels about you" 

"Yeah right" Hiccup muttered. 

Wait were they talking about me? Are my feelings that obvious?

"Really Hiccup," said Gobber sighing "you're a Haddock, prove it! Ask her to the dance" Oh please let them be talking about me I thought desperatly.

"I can't Gobber!" Hiccup said raising his voice again "How do you think the others would react? Espicailly Tuffnut, you know how he feels about the people that go out with her" 

"Relly Hiccup you're 17 are you really afraid of Tuffnut!" Asked Gobber incredulously.

Why would Tuffnut care if Hiccup took me to the dance I thought. unless he wasn't. What if he was taking someone else somone Tuffnut cared about. Hmmmm.