Chapter Twenty-Four - Suddenly Being Trapped With Two Guys Isn't So Appealing

As time wore on, I started to get more and more worried. Somehow I found myself fiddling with the camouflage fabric that was clutched in between my fingers. I couldn’t remember how I’d gotten it; all I knew was that for the next forty minutes, I kept it and toyed with it aimlessly as I stared off into space, just thinking.

   River sat near me, but he remained silent, staring off into the distance, his lips firmly pressed together and his jaw clenched, teeth gritted.

   Jason had been pacing so much that I wondered how he hadn’t yet collapsed from exhaustion. I suppose he was a football player, so he was used to it, but he had been pacing back and forth for a good hour at the same harried pace, never stopping anywhere or giving himself a break. I would’ve passed out on the floor by now.

   I started to fee guilty, as things began to fall into place, like jigsaw pieces falling down.

   It couldn’t be Drella. Even if she had had an accomplice, her being one of the killers was pointless. I mean, she couldn’t have done anything, besides making us trust her. And what was the point of that? What did that accomplish? We didn’t trust anybody here, especially not someone as dark and morbid as Drella.

   I looked at both River and Jason, glancing between them skeptically. Was there a chance that maybe Jason had made it all up to avert suspicion from himself? That maybe Drella was innocent and he was just pointing fingers and trying to distract River and I from the real killer? Could he in fact be talking about himself instead of Drella when he accused her? Was there a chance it could really be him? After all of this time?

   Or was it River, and Jason was actually just helplessly clueless? Pointing fingers at the most likely person? Could River have just been seducing me to try and distract me from the fact he was a cold-blooded, heartless killer?

   Was it possible that one of the gorgeous, sweet guys in front of me could actually be the killer?

   Could they be… working together?

   Nothing about River or Jason had seemed suspicious, except maybe their questionably bad decisions earlier on. But even I had made some tizzy decisions in the moment, so I couldn’t really properly blame them for that, otherwise I’d be the epitome of hypocritical.

   Suddenly being stuck in a room with two hot guys didn’t seem so appealing  after all.

   “I think…I think I should go check up on Drella,” I said slowly, my voice slicing through the thick, tense silence.

   Jason’s head whipped up, and his eyes widened in disbelief as a shocked scoff left his lips. “What?! Are you insane? She’s the killer!”

   “I’m not so sure,” I admitted to them. Maybe it was a dangerous move to admit that I suspected something different, but there was no other way for me to get away. “I think maybe we were wrong about her. And we can’t leave her out there by herself. I think I should go and check on her.”

   “She could kill you,” River chimed in, his voice low and worried.