Chapter Five - Sarcastic Put-Downs From Pretty Girls

~Chapter Five - Sarcastic Put-Downs From Pretty Girls~         

******RAINE’S POV******

“Maybe it was Travis,” River suggested half an hour later. We had regrouped once again in the food court, and it almost seemed like our headquarters now. None of us was hungry; the girl had made us lose our appetites.

             “Why do you say that?” Jason questioned, looking up from where he was staring determinedly at the tabletop.

            I wasn’t in the mood for talking, so I remained a silent listener. The only people involved in this conversation were Jason, River, Donovan, Steve and Brad. Drella, Jessica and I remained silent, staring gloomily around and digesting what we had just seen.

             “Well, he might’ve killed the girl, then come across us. Notice he didn’t race to see who the body was when he heard the screams? And he still hasn’t shown up,” River suggested, toying with his fingers and casting suspicious glances at all the entrances.

           I hated how they talked about the possibility of murderers and blood and victims so nonchalantly. It made my blood boil. How could they talk as if the death of the girl meant nothing? As if the lives hadn’t been taken in cold blood, and this were just some videogame they could pause and turn off at any time?

            “Where is he, anyway?” Donovan asked, his voice deep and serious.

            “Who knows?” River dropped a shrug. “Probably plotting his next murder.”

             “I knew this day was coming,” Drella chimed in unhelpfully. “This is the end.”

             Everyone chose to ignore the comment. Her opinion didn’t seem to count much for anything, anyway.

            “Well, I don’t think we should sit around and wait to see who his next victim is,” River told us matter-of-factly. “I think we should do something about it.”

             “Like what?” Jessica asked, finally speaking up. “Hunt him down? Do you really think that’s safe?”

For once I agreed with Jessica. I mean, what good could we do? A cheerleader, a bookworm, a stoner, a mall cop, a jock, a girl who was convinced evil was taking over the world, a bad-boy player and a fashionista guy. We weren’t exactly a cutting-edge team for tracking down murderers. This wasn’t some unbelievable sitcom. Us saving ourselves from a murderer was as likely as also being able to enlist the help of a unicorn, a couple of leprechauns, and why not throw in a Greek God while we’re at it?

             For head cheerleader, Jessica wasn’t looking so good now. Her hair was falling out of its’ immaculate blonde ponytail, she was drawn and pale, and she was clutching her head in her hands, her sleeves lifted over her fingers as she rubbed her temples. We were all feeling the after-effects of the murder.

            “What else are we gonna do?” River retorted. “Wait here like sitting ducks for this psycho to come and knock us off one-by-one?”

            “I still don’t think going around looking for this guy is the smartest idea,” Jessica replied, staring at the tabletop fixedly.

            “Well, do you have any better ideas?”

            “Well… no,” Jessica admitted, a blush staining her cheeks and tingeing her ears scarlet.