Chapter Two - Like A True Bookworm

~~~~

Dedicated to demonxseed for the amazing trailer for Fallen Raine :) Check it out and tell her how amazing she is at it!

~~~~

~Chapter Two - Like A True Bookworm~

******RAINE’S POV*****

When I’m reading, it quite literally is like it is only me and the book left in the world. Everything else falls away, until all that is left are the white pages and the inked words that have the power to transport you to anywhere in the world you want to go, where you can do anything in the world you want to do. Books have the ability to make you go back in time, forward into the future. You can slay dragons, fight warriors, find hopeless true love....

            Books are my savior, my heaven. My world. As nerdy as it sounds, books are quite literally some of my best friends. There is nothing like the feel of crisp paper in between your fingertips, with words that have the power to change you forever.

            I sat in the nook of the library in my local shopping centre, Mapleton Mall, reading the pages of an old newspaper from the nineties, fingering the weathered pages as if they were precious artifacts. Which, to me, they were. Nobody would read them - people would dismiss them as boring due to the fact that none of this was happening present-day - but I found it to be fascinating.

            In the background somewhere, I heard shouting and a shrill noise, but didn’t bother paying attention to it. Why would I? We were in a mall; all kinds of noises were made here. Screaming, giggling; it was probably just someone’s ringtone alerting them to a call or text. There was nothing to worry about. What could possibly happen here?

            I continued to read, my eyes skimming the pages and black words as I frantically turned to see the kinds of things that happened so long ago. Okay, so I was a little bit of a history buff, too. Shoot me.

            I rubbed my eyes where a headache throbbed, and shook my head. I should probably call it a day before my mom called me or the librarians kicked me out to close up. Trust me, it wasn't the first time that had happened, and it wasn't something I was all too eager to repeat.

            I stood up and replaced the newspaper in the shelf, before standing from the navy carpet and dusting off my holey jeans that were snug and comfortable.

            I looked around and frowned, my eyes darting around the library. The place was completely deserted. No kids sat studying at tables, no librarians stood behind the desk, and no women flicked through the novels like I had grown so accustomed to.

            Had they closed up already and not realized I was still here? Wouldn’t be the first time. One time I remembered being stuck in here for a whole night because I had found myself a nice place to stay and read and had lost track of time. I was hungry, and I needed to pee like hell, but I had done it.

            I stared up at the clock, with its hands ticking rhythmically like a metronome. It was only five in the afternoon. This place closed at eight at night. So where was everyone else?

            Slowly I rounded the tall bookshelves and peered into each aisle of books, CDs, DVDs and newspapers, but not one soul could be found around anywhere. It was like a ghost town. Or library, I guess.

            With a sigh I walked through the open door and into the main shopping mall, pulling out my phone and making sure the clock hadn't just slowed down.