::3::

[January 28th 2014: White teeth teens: ranked Short Story #299]

When I met you it wasn't love at first sight, I think it was curiosity more than anything. On my way to the park, I kicked rocks watching them fly across the gray concrete and disappear in the grass, I wondered if you did that too.

The sun was setting, the sky would be wrapping me in darkness in an hour or two but I couldn't go home. I knew that my house had probably turned into a battlefield by now. I slowly made my way towards the park about a block away. My hands were stuffed in my pockets, the sound of my flats smacking the concrete resonated through the air.

The park eventually came into the view and I raced towards the empty swing set. I felt like a child as I forced my self onto the huge red plastic seat. I grabbed onto the metal chains that kept the swing in place. I kicked off and started swinging back and forth. My stomach dropped every time the swing went down but instead of making me feel sick, I felt just a little more alive. I kicked even harder watching the sun set. 

"Hi," The sound of your voice startled me. I stopped kicking and nearly fell off the swing at the site of you. You came out of the dark. You were still in your soccer uniform, your brown hair was placed messily all over your head, and you probably still smelled like onions but that didn't matter to me, something was so perfect about you.

'Hey,' I said sounding a little out of breath. A ghost of a smile appeared on your face as  I stopped the swing and climbed off coming face to face with you. 

"Hi," You replied again, almost like you didn't know what to say. Your warm breath fanned across my face, it smelled like mint. This time it was me who smiled, I grabbed you by the wrist and dragged you over to the jungle gym. I climbed up the flimsy plastic ladder and landed in the middle of the jungle gym.

You watched from below me. I stood up looking over the side of the gym, 'Come up,' I said motioning with my hands. You looked hesitant but started to climb up anyway. Once you got to the top you came and stood right next me, our shoulders brushing. 

"What brings you here?" You grumbled. 

"Family drama," I said with a sigh. You grunted almost like you were agreeing with me, that's when I knew, we had more in common than we were letting on.

:::