::2::

[January 27th 2014: white teeth teens ranked: Short Story #453 ]

The smell of spices and melted cheese greeted my nose when i returned home. I once told you that my mother never cooked, that's how i knew something was up that night. I set my back pack down on the couch as i walked into the kitchen Mom was placing a bowl a mashed potatoes down the moment i set foot into the kitchen. She gave me a dry smile as I sat down at the table. 

"What's going on?" I asked staring at her as she took a seat at the head of the table. We were only three chairs away but somehow it felt like we could've been a million away.

"Nothing is going on," She answered stiffly as she scooped mashed potatoes on her plate "Can't I just cook my daughter?" she said, nearly choking on the word 'daughter' as she stared at her plate.

You once told me that you saw my mom in the grocery store, she was smiling and happy. I knew she was only miserable around me

"Mom, you never cook," I stated, simply taking a sip of ice cold water sitting infront of me.

"Okay then," She said sounding irritated "Your dad and I are getting divorced," I sighed, I had seen it coming for a while but I had never expected it to happen so soon. In truth,I wasnt even upset, I was more worried about my sister's reaction to the news.

Emily was obsessed with the idea of perfection. She had to have the perfect family minus me, She had to have the perfect appearance and She had to have the perfect boyfriend, which is the reason she had slept her way through most of the basketball team until she got to the captain, her current boyfriend Aiden.

Emily would probably flip when she found out that her perfect parents were splitting up.

"So, do you have anything to say?" My mother asked me quizzically, noticing my lack of reaction.

I downed the glass of water in front of me "Congratulations?" I said looking her directly in her dark eyes "Maybe you wont be miserable anymore,"

Her face darkened in shade to red and she looked like she wanted to kill me. Just as she was about to say something, Emily came into the kitchen. To save mom the dramatics of the situation, I spoke first.

"Mom is getting divorced from Dad," I said the moment Emily's hazel green eyes met my dull brown.

She gasped like news was choking her. I stood up out of my seat grabbing an Apple out the middle of the table. I drifted past Emily and my Mom as they started arguing.

"This is all your fault!" Emily yelled as I exited the kitchen.

"Sawyer, come back here!" My mother shouted as I exited the house the door slamming behind me.

I didn't know where I was going but I was thinking of you.

::::