Do you speak African?

Africa is not a country nor is it a language. *Speaks louder* AFRICA IS NOT A COUNTRY. IT IS NOT A LANGUAGE EITHER.

 IT IS NOT A LANGUAGE EITHER

Sheesh!!!

It was when I moved to England, I realised that most people here don't know much about Africa.The kind of ignorance and unawareness about the continent is shocking!

SHOCKING!

Africa is a continent. It is the second largest continent in the world. You get that, the second largest continent. How can you miss that?

Just like Asia, Europe, North and South America, it is made up of different countries. 54 of them; Algeria, Angola, Ghana, Cameroon, Malawi, Namibia, Uganda, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Nigeria, which is where I'm from and many many more.

So, if you say to me, "Oh I've been to Africa before" or "I'm going to Africa" I'll be left puzzled. I mean, where in Africa did you go/ are you going? You need to be specific with me. It is a large continent with 54 countries in them, you must at least have an idea whereabouts you've been to.

If you travelled to Italy or Spain for instance, you wouldn't say, "Oh I went to Europe for holiday" No way. You'd tell me the country, and maybe even the city or town in Spain you went to. It should be the same with Africa as well.

How exciting Lady G! As much as I love that you're in Africa, I'd really like to know where exactly you are

How exciting Lady G! As much as I love that you're in Africa, I'd really like to know where exactly you are. South Africa, Tanzania, Kenya? Be specific. 

And then another stupid question people would ask when you tell them you're an African is "Do you speak African?"

Do I speak African? Do I speak African? Are you kidding me?

Do YOU speak European? Eh? You moron! Mtcheww! Rubbish.

I know what you should be asking Santa for this Christmas,  a freaking World Atlas. Educate yourself!

Then there's this one too; I mention to someone that I'm from Nigeria and then they say, "Oh I know a lady from South Africa" or "My sister's friend's cousin's neighbour is from Zimbabwe" "Or do you know Kwame from Ghana?" 

And I'm like . . . Ohkaaaaaaayyy . . .  How does it concern me? How is it my business? Am I in anyway suppose to know them. Just because I'm African doesn't necessarily mean I should another African.

I know a Maria from Spain, do you know her?

Exactly! 

You know, what people think about when they hear about Africa is malnourished children starving to death, poverty,  death. And it really pains me that the media have tainted the image of that great continent. Just yesterday, a little boy innocently said to me, "Oh my mum and dad says I'm skinny just like an African child"

How sad is that?!

Since when do we now compare, thinness to African children. I don't blame people though. it's what they see on TV. "Please send £3 a month to poor Ayeesha who is dying of starvation."

*Shakes head sadly*

My point here is, I'm not saying people should go and learn everything about the entire continent of Africa, because even I don't know all, but at least know the basics nau. Like the fact that it's a continent and it's not a language and that people who live in countries there are not all malnourished and starving. So that you don't embarrass yourself in public and look like a moron. More importantly, so you don't infuriate the Africans you ask those questions.

Biko.

End of . . .

Please don't mind me and my rants lol

Anyway, thank you all for reading and please, keep on voting and commenting. Much love!