11: Apologies & Hot Chocolate

• Skylar •

"Skyler."

My head turns in the direction of the voice. I'm speechless at first, trying to process what I was seeing. Standing there a few feet away leaning against his old, busted up truck...was Noah.

"N-Noah?" Tears threaten to come. Happy tears. Seeing him...it's possibly the best thing that could happen to me right now. Without hesitation, I run to him, ready to wrap my arms and feel his the warmth of chest and the feeling of his lips against mine.

But Noah looks away, shaking his head and motioning me away.

This time tears do come.

"What is it? Don't you want us together?" I ask him. "Forever?"

"I love you, Sky." He tells me, his voice calm and soothing. "But you need to let me go."

I shake my head, refusing to believe what I was hearing. "B-but I love you-"

"Let me go." He repeats.

"But-"

"Listen to me, Sky." His eyes stare into mine, complete seriousness in them. "Let me go. Move on."

"What about us?" I whisper, trying to reach for him.

"I'm dead." Noah informs me just as my hand passes right through where his stomach should be. "But he's not."

- - -

I wake up with a start. Sweat it causing my hair to stick around my face yet I'm cold. It reeks of damp grass and old flowers around me. Blinking a few times, I bring myself to a sitting position.

I'm in the cemetery.

I'm on Noah's grave.

I must have fallen asleep.

Hell knows how long I've been here. There are no clocks around but the dew on the grass is telling me that it was early morning. I must have slept through the night after spending hours crying beside the grave.

Releasing a sigh, I stand up. I probably look like a zombie right now, but I don't care. My eyes feel swollen and my body aches. Besides that, I stink of grass and dirt. Taking my time, I start towards the cemetery exit. My mother must be worried. She's going to kill me, no doubt.

"Let me go."

Startled, I trip over something but manage to keep my balance. That voice...

"Noah?" I glance around the empty cemetery, my heart beating fast in my chest. "Noah, is that you?"

"I'm dead..." His familiar voice whispers though it seems to be coming from the wind. "But he's not..."

I'm breathing hard now. I must be hearing things. Maybe it's just hallucinations from my dream. Yeah, I decide. That's it.

Speeding up my steps, I'm able to make it out of the cemetery though I can't get his voice out of my head.

Then I think of Justin.

Without realizing it, my feet lead me to his porch. I stand there like an idiot, shaking as my index finger hits the doorbell.

"Coming!" His familiar voice rings throughout his house.

I take an endless amount of breaths as I try to calm myself. Maybe I should just leave. Maybe I should just forget everything and go home and take a nice, warm bath-

My thoughts are cut off by the door swinging open.

Standing there with a surprised look on his face is Justin. Neither of us seem to know how to react. Silence flows between us as neither of speak, just staring at each other like two mute idiots.