Burning Hearts: Six

• 點播給 The Raie's and Sapphire's out there

Six

Raie

"Raie. What are you on?" We were on our way to school, our second day, and were just about to pull into the car park. Sapphire was staring at me, an eyebrow raised, "Ever since yesterday afternoon you've gone crazy quiet."

"Sorry..." I mumbled. "Just been thinking..." 

"You have to have a brain to think, stupid," Libby retorted. Tash high fived her and they giggled together. I rolled my eyes.

"You know what? You’re a piece of paper," I said.

"Paper!" Sapphire and I whispered, tracing a square shaped piece of paper in mid air. It was a thing we did- whenever someone made a lame comeback and high fived each other for it, we'd do the same thing, except the comeback would be even lamer. Mine and Sapphire's hands met mid air in a high five and we chuckled together. Libby and Tash stared at us like we were idiots, which we were- and very proud of it.

"Ouch," Susan said, raising an eyebrow. "Did you hear that? Paper." She laughed and pulled into the drop off zone. "Well, get out."

"Mum!" Tash exclaimed.

"You know I'm kidding. Off you go, have a nice day." Tash and Sapphire kissed their mother goodbye as Libby and I rolled out of the car. Tash and Libby took off to their classes, and soon enough, Sapphire came out of the car and we headed to the bench we sat at yesterday, which I assume was becoming the usual. For the fifteen minutes before the bell went, Sapphire and I chilled out the table, chatting and laughing, until we finally had to go our separate ways.

I looked at my schedule and saw I had Chemistry first. Great.

I headed to the laboratory, noticing a couple of other girls heading in that direction, and entered the room where the class was seated, talking and mucking about before the teacher arrived. The room was big and spacey, and very closed off from everything else. There was three parallel rows of desks- all connected as one large bench, and little modern lights hung from the ceiling above them. Tucked neatly under the benches were plastic, grey, high chairs and at the back of the room were multiple benches with test tubes and chemicals, and lots of cupboards presumably full of more equipment.

My eyes scanned over the room, and I decided to head over to the far back corner, where no one seemed to be buzzing about. I comfortably seated myself at my chair, and spread my books on the desk, my thoughts occasionally drifting to the past over and over again, now that I had no one to distract me from them.

"Hey, you're new right?" I looked up as some guy squeezed into the seat next to me.

"Yeah..." I mumbled. "Something like that."

He examined me- today I was wearing leggings and a monochrome sweater. "So wanna go out?"

I rolled my eyes, "Um, no thanks."

"You sure? I'm pretty popular, I could get you lots of friends," he insisted.

I raised an eyebrow, "I'm sure. I already have friends."

He smirked. "I think you should say yes."

"Right," I sighed. "Look, buddy, whatever your name is, unlike you, I'm here to learn. Not to 'go out' with some guy who thinks he's top shit'. Go flatter yourself with another girl and just leave me alone."

The guy put his hands up in surrender and stood up. "Geez, we've got ourselves a stuck-up bitch right here!" He exclaimed, just as the teacher walked in.

"Language, Kyle, and stop picking on the new students," She looked at me. "Sorry about him." I shrugged, and Kyle took a seat a couple of seats down from me. Out of the corner of my eyes, I saw him glaring at me.