Burning Hearts: Three

Raie

After moving into Sapphire's house, things started flowing really well. We only had a couple of days until we started school, but that was more than enough time to unpack our things and get settled into Jamie's old room. 

Luckily, we'd gotten to trade his old double bed for two single ones, so I didn't end up having to share a bed with Libby and we had a whole walk-in wardrobe that was big enough for the both of us. The goodbye to my parents was rather stressful; with lots of hugs and kisses I had to put up with. But it was okay- a few tears from Libby, but I expected nothing less. 

It was the first day of school, and I awoke to the sound of Susan yelling ‘Sapphire Jules Davies’. As I flickered open my eyes and met the bright sunlight that streamed in from the window, a feeling of confidence swirled within me. I turned in my bed to see Libby still asleep, which meant I had the ensuite to myself.

I slipped into the closet and picked out my favorite skirt and my newest top, which went together pretty fantastically. The school didn't have a uniform policy, just a dress code, which was more then satisfying to me, considering I couldn't stand our primary school's uniforms, or my previous school's one. Clothes in hand, I tip toed into the bathroom, not wanting to wake Libby, and turned the hot water in the shower on, locking the door behind me. 

I had a nice, five minute long shower- washing my hair and shaving my legs so they were silky smooth. I spent another half an hour blow drying and straightening my hair. By the time I was done, Libby was banging on the door, yelling at me to hurry up. 

When I swung open the door, I nearly copped a fist in the face from my sister, but quickly ducked out of the way. "Oi, calm down," Libby's hair stuck up in every direction and she looked like she'd been hit by a bus. "Shower's free." She shot me daggers as I dodged out of her path and jumped into my wardrobe again to find my favourite pair of boots. When I walked out, Sapphire was at the door, grinning and wearing jeans and a cute top.

"Breakfast is ready downstairs."

"Great!" I cheered. "What are we having?"

"Pancakes." She turned around and headed down the stairs, and I followed. "Now," she said calling over her shoulder. "At this new school, there's no ditching each other, okay? We stick together."

"Ofcourse!"

Sapphire

Raie and I were destined to be best friends, whether we liked it or not, along with Libby and Tash. Jules and my mother, Susan, had met in college and at first had absolutely hated each other. They had been in opposing sororities and been total opposites- Jules was the tomboy music-lover, with a fierce temper, but a kind soul, and my Mother was the tennis-playing girly-girl who got everything she wanted, but wasn’t truly liked by anyone (including Jules). They fought over everything, until in their final year, when they changed, and became inseparable, and had been since.

It was midterms and they were both majoring in Marine Biology. Their teacher, Mr. Cavernarn, was assigning partners for a research assignment. Jules and Susan were both praying that they wouldn't be assigned each other, when the blow came.

‘Susan Pearce, Jules Mason, you will be researching Aquatic Conservation.’ Mr. Cavernarn announced, completely aware of the vicious hate between them.

They instantly went over to him, shooting daggers at each other the whole time, and begged to swap partners. Mr. Cavernarn was in his late-60’s at the time, and had no care for his students struggles, so he told them the rules clearly, stating there were no re-partnering’s allowed. They both slumped back into their seats, continuing to glare at each other. Using all their strength, they tried to be civil to each other and worked on the paper through email, until they came to the editing stage, and certain things couldn't be explained via electronic communication, so they were forced to meet up.