Burning Hearts: Four

Four

Raie 

"Have fun!" Sapphire's mum waved as Libby and Tash stepped out of the car. We had pulled up outside of our new school and Susan had asked us to wait a second so she could have a word. Reluctantly, and with a 'silent message glance', Sapphire and I had agreed.

"Now...girls," Susan turned to us in the front seat. "I know, this is high school, but this grade is supposed to be the grade."

"The grade?" I raised an eyebrow, curious.

"The grade where everyone splits up and becomes total, utter bitches."

Sapphire's jaw dropped, and mine immediately followed. "You just swore," Sapphire stated, matter-of-factly.

"So...?"

"You never swear," I added.

Susan rolled her eyes. "Not the point. Promise me you won't become... bad people?"

Sapphire and I looked at each other then laughed. "Duh!" we chorused.  

I slung my cute, polka dotted shoulder bag over my shoulder, and followed Sapphire out of the car. "Thank you, Susan!" I called over my shoulder and hurried after Sapphire who was already speed walking. "Oi! Sapphire! Wait."

She stopped and turned around, a huge grin on her face. "I'm so excited!"

"I know, I know, but remember what we discussed?" I asked. "Calm and cool. Relaxed and confident."

The smile disappeared from her face and she nodded. "Right, right, okay." I couldn't help but give a smile at her sudden attitude change. At the same time, we turned to face the school, linked arm and took a deep breath. "Ready?" she asked.

"Ready," I said, feeling confident.

The next turn of events was almost set in slow motion- I could see it being a scene from a movie. Sapphire and I walked into the school, down the path to the main office where we were supposed to get our time tables. We both had plain, confident expressions on our face- no wide smiles- and the wind gently tugged at our hair so it sort of flowed out behind us. Like I said, slow motion movie scene. And obviously this school was very cliché, because almost everyone out and socializing stopped, turned and literally started to stare at us. Feeling glad that I wore my best skirt, I looked ahead and pretended not to notice everyone was looking.

When Sapphire and I reached the office door and stepped inside, I literally let out a sigh of relief, funnily enough, at the same time she did too. We burst out laughing, trying to put hands over our mouths to try and keep ourselves quiet. Finally getting a hold of ourselves, I took in the air conditioned room that was the office.

It smelt of cleaning products and too much air freshener, as offices usually should any way- this meant it was clean. There was a row of plastic chairs lined up against the far wall, and a lady behind a tall desk talking about something with an older man and his son. Their backs were too us, so I didn't quite see their faces until they thanked the lady and turned around.