The Vow 2

Chapter 2

.

Lunch

Weaving through the packed hallways I stopped by my locker shoving everything but my sketchbook, pencil, and eraser in. Walking out of a set of double doors I headed to my usual lunch spot, upon reaching it I saw that Cain or rather 'Nicholas' was there talking to his friend Stark. Trying to seem nonchalant I walked over and stood above them. Silence ascended immediately as they turned to look at me. Inwardly cringing at their heated stares I said in a surprisingly calm voice "Cain you look better with your old hair cut." Turning my back to them I was surprised that out of my peripheral I saw the same Cain as I saw in my dreams, I was shocked when a hand locked around my wrist in a vise like grip.

Turning back toward them I asked "what is it?" in a falsely kind voice, ignoring how tight his grip was and the disconcerted look on his face. Giving a strange smile he said in a low tenor "won't you sit with us?" Sitting beside them I said "don't mind if I do' opening my brown bag I pulled out a small fruit salad. After a beat of tense silence I dropped another 'hint' well not so much a hint as a blatantly obvious 'I know.' "Cain, you know you look much more natural with a sword in hand rather than a pencil." Stark spoke up then "how? How do you know?" Giving him a mischievous smile I just shrugged, turning to look back at Cain. "who are you? How do you know so much?"

Leaning back on my arms I said in a quite voice, practically mumbled "I see you guys in my dreams, okay?" knowing they'd hear me. Still I blushed as I tipped my face back trying to hide the red staining my cheeks. Sitting up straight I took a deep breath and watched their reactions, saw their confusion and shock. What ever answer they'd wanted this clearly was not it, clearing my throat I clarified a little more "well, actually I just see Cain" Shaken out of his shock I saw as his eyes darkened in anger. "What have you learned spying on me as you have?" his sentence punctuated by the leaf-shaped dagger seemingly pulled from nowhere.

With the blade lain against my throat I swallowed thickly cotton suddenly filling my mouth. "Nothing!" Realizing just how ridiculous that sounded I added "just your life. A few days ago you fought a group of ogres because you traveled through their territory, and yesterday you were in a condo looking down on the city talking with Stark." I rattled off, babbling, in my haste to clear this up. Before I knew it the blade was gone and I was able to breath easy again without the fear of cutting my throat if I breathed too deeply.

Before I knew it Paine had shown up behind me without saying a thing she sat beside me, whispering in my ear "nice catch" before introducing herself. The rest of the lunch period was relatively normal-if by normal you mean that you eat lunch with two murdering fairies everyday. At the end of lunch Cain gave mea back-breaking hug whispering in my ear "this isn't over, meet me here after school."

Anyone else feels like they're a bad" ABC family Grease special?" Walking to class I couldn't help but think about what would happen. I was restless the rest of the day I couldn't even concentrate on my classes. With a sigh I completely tuned my teacher out. Opening my sketchpad to a blank page I started sketching letting my mind wonder, replaying every dream of Cain I'd ever had, every glimpse.

It was no surprise that when I actually stopped to look at my sketch it was of Cain. What was surprising was the depiction of Cain locked in deadly combat, blades locked stances firm. His unknown opponent, was a tall fairy with hair as black as night, fading into black feathers reaching his shoulders. Pale skin and multihued eyes, the outer ring of his iris a deep violet fading in color until it reached the same dark black as his pupils. While Cain's mouth was twisted into a snarl the smile on the unknown mans face was all teeth. Cain wore armor of twisted oak buckled at his sides , his foe an armor of inky black shining like oil in the cerulean nightfall.

I was so engrossed in my scrutiny of my picture that I jumped when the bell rang. Scribbling down the homework assignment on the back of the previous page, I walked to my locker. After dialing my locker combination in I pulled out my small backpack the small cerulean black plaid bag just big enough to hold my things. Shoving my binder in I reached into the front pocket hoping that I hadn't taken it out of my bag. Feeling my hand clench around cold metal I pulled out my pocket knife the blade a full three inches of serrated steel.

Slinging my bag on my back I started toward the magnolia tree, when I got within seeing distance I saw Cain leaning against the trunk his arms crossed over his chest, causing the white button up to pull taught over his chest defining his muscular physique, a look of irritation on his face-the very picture of male piqué. Flicking the pocket knife open I tucked it into my boot.

Walking up behind Cain I tapped his shoulder ......

Sorry for the cliffhanger....again . Longer chap next time.