The Vow 1

Chapter 1

I stared eyes trained directly ahead fixated on the steel-framed flexi-glass door. Striding forward I sighed in utter contentment glad to be free of the crush of bodies and the smell of sweat, or rather the smell of teen spirit permeating the hall. Breathing in a breath of clean air I let out a little laugh of sheer joy, settling myself under the branches of a sturdy magnolia. Opening my lunch box I blindly reached in pulling out a bag of cookies. A voice from behind me made me turn "still playing that game mystery lunch?" My friend Paine stood above me her black pixy, boy cut in stark contrast to her pale complexion.

She was perpetually pale despite being on the swim team her school uniform was tailored and fit her snuggly. As she gracefully folded herself she sat down, smiling at her I said "yeah and don't you dare tell me what's in my bag." Laughing she just shook her head.

A devious gleam came into her eye as she leaned toward me "did you hear?" Shaking my head I wondered what she was talking about, Paine was a zealous gossip always telling me about this or that even knowing I couldn't care less. Her smile was unsettling, "there's a new student enrolling tomorrow!" She practically shrieked at me her voice suddenly two octaves higher.

Raising one eyebrow I said "and how did you get this tidbit of information?" Smiling she said I saw the file on Mr. Raye's desk and I just 'happened' to drop my pencil. Shaking my head I laughed at her use of her 'goods.' "So" she said elongating the 'o' "don't you even want to know what he looks like?"

"Not really" I said with a shrug, her look of mock horror had me laughing. "How could you? I mean, really? Well you know what? I'm telling you anyway, he's-literally-tall, dark, and handsome. His school transfer papers had a picture attached; he's tan copper-ish bronze hair. Glowing, bright, green eyes and perfect features."

the bell rang, thankfully stopping her lengthy dissection of his looks, gathering up my semi-eaten lunch I slowly walked my way to class feeling more and more depressed the closer I got. Surely today would be the same, no one to talk to, and work you already understood. Eventually the final bell rang walking out to the parking lot I looked around for my motorcycle. Spotting its black paint glinting in the sunlight I hurried over, anticipating the roar of the engine and the freedom of speeding down the highways. Straddling the bike I sped out of the lot hearing the gravel spray from beneath my tires.

Rushing down the roads, weaving between traffic, and driving in a way that should surely have gotten me a ticket I rushed to the empty roads a good twenty-five miles between the city and my house. When I reached those open roads with no traffic in sight I 'let 'er rip' going as fast as I can feeling the wind rush past me seeing as everything turned into a blur, my hair whipped around me as if in a maelstrom. Grinding to a halt in the semi-circle gravel driveway in front of my house I kicked down the kickstand and pulled my keys out. Unlocking the door I took my shoes off leaning on the doorway for support. "Mom, Mom you home?"

Walking into the kitchen I saw a deep violet note attached to the refrigerator, skimming the contents I learned that she'd be working late taking inventory. Heading up stairs I pet my dog Bruiser before heading to my room. Plopping on my bed I let bruiser jump on with me, the pit-bull taking up half the bed. Opening my math book I finished the first twenty problems and put it away.

Flicking the T.V. on I surfed channels landing on a news cast a rich art dealer and his son were moving into town. Watching the entire news cast I learned that he'd sold all sorts of art from paintings to sculptures. Smiling I got an idea then laughed at the absurdity of it, as if he'd take notice of MY art. Flopping onto my back I curled up with bruiser falling asleep in a matter of seconds.

Waking up later that afternoon I finished the rest of the math homework, grabbed a pair of pajamas and slipped into the shower. Relaxing under the torrent of hot water and the smell of my favorite shampoo I rinsed my hair clean and dressed. Laid out on the bed I stared at my ceiling glow in the dark paint burning into my vision. The angel smiled at me benevolently it's body surrounded by the darkness of night I painted it there to fight.

Rolling onto my side I curled up with Bruiser and drifted off to sleep. The man was....here? No, that couldn't be, but it was. He was inside of a large condo surrounded by art, he stood looking out a large window, city lights winking back at him. His hair was cropped short above his shoulders falling just above his eyes. Behind him spread out on his large bed sat a school uniform, MY school's uniform for boys.

From a room behind him emerged someone his brown hair waving and falling into his eyes which shined a strange gold-brown even in the shadowed room. "Cain, or should I say 'Nicholas'?" he asked a wry smile on his full pink mouth, "You owe me big time for this you know, you owe me a boon and not a small one," he continued. Giving an equally sardonic smile Cain or was it Nicholas turned saying "I know Stark or should I call you 'Dad?'" His voice was equally as mocking as Starks. Eventually my dream faded to others that made more sense.

Waking up the next morning I jolted out of bed, the sound of my Cheshire cat alarm ringing loudly in my ears. Slipping off my pajamas I slipped into the school uniform dark-blue plaid skirt. Slipping a pair of shorts on underneath I pulled on a quarter sleeve white button-up and the dark-blue girls-tie before heading to the bathroom.

Brushing my teeth and quickly running a brush through my platinum blonde hair I did a quick line of eyeliner and grabbed my bag. Sitting on the edge of my bed I pulled on some thigh-high socks and my usual knee-high boots. Buckling them on, I headed through the door and down the stairs, sitting at the kitchen table I ate some butter-jelly toast and drank a glass of juice. Rushing out the door I pecked my mom lightly on the check as she shuffled down the stairs sleepily.

Straddling my bike I zoomed off to school my strange dream still playing in my head, pulling into my lot I noticed something that made my heart stop. 'He,' Nicholas was here clambering off my bike I followed him as he rounded a corner. Only then did I think, what am I going to say "I see you in my dreams every night?" god I'm stupid. I still couldn't believe he exists, I can't believe FAIRIES exist.

Turning around I headed to my first class AP Calculus, sitting in my desk in the back of the room I pretended to go over my homework all the while puzzling out last nights strange dream. When the bell rang the others filed in sleepily, a second before the late bell Nicholas walked in taking the only vacant seat-the one beside me.

Staring at him I was completely mesmerized this was the first and only time I'd ever seen him up close. Turning his head a fraction of an inch he glanced at me from the corner of his eye. Blushing I ducked my head, the rest of the class was uneventful, I walked into my second period gym class hopeful, and sure enough he was there. Couch Litton was speaking to him telling him he didn't have to dress out until tomorrow.

Suddenly I felt self conscious in my really short school shorts, this is insane, I thought, I've never been self conscious before. I know guys find me attractive a few had even tried to flirt with me before they got the message. I'm petite with platinum blonde hair falling straight down to my waist, now it was in a loose braid. I have gray-blue eyes and a straight nose as well as full lips. I've never felt self conscious because I've never cared before.

This period was the same as the first though I could swear I felt his eyes on me as we played volleyball in the center of the court. The real problem came during lunch...