Chapter 8

"We need to go now!" Luke's hands clasped onto both of my shoulders and turned me towards the little shops door.

The surging pain in my throat increased with each cough that I pushed through. I've been careful all my life to not place a peanut of any kind anywhere near my mouth. No wonder the taste was new and exciting. But the effects were immediate. The burning sensation started in my throat and my tongue seemed to be enclosed in my mouth. Breathing became a struggle that was met with fits of coughs adding to my overly reddened face.

So this is what death feels like. I figured it'd be more, I don't know. Deathy.

"What's going on? Is she okay?" The employee behind the counter asked.

"No! She's extremely let allergic to peanuts!" Luke yelled starting to push my out of the shop.

I doubled over into Luke's arms, the force of the coughs being too much for me to handle and my consciousness slowly depleting. I've never experienced an actual allergic reaction. Except when I was a baby. But who would remember that.

"Luke..." I choked out grabbing onto his arm.

"Peyton we need to get you to the hospital now." Luke said sternly, shaking me slightly as he held me up.

"No....EpiPen." I coughed.

"Where? Where is it?" Luke began to search me up and down looking desperately for my epipen.

"Purse...it's in my purse." My words were now barely slipping out, my vision becoming blurry.

"You aren't carrying a purse!" Luke screamed.

I thought I had a purse. I always carry my purse. No, no, I brought my purse.

Then it hit me.

"Antonio's." I fell onto the ground after saying this. I laid flat on the ground heaving in breath after breath. Each breath harder and slower than the next.

I looked back over to Luke but he had already taken off in the restaurants's direction.

I'm dead.

I'm so dead.

Why like this? If I'm going to die can't I go out with a bang? Not like a gun shot bang. Something more exciting than "Death By Peanut". Or old age. Old age seems more peaceful. I don't want to be remembered as "The One Killed By Mr. Peanut."

I shut my eyes and lifted my hands to my face. It had swelled in size. My cheeks were noticeably puffier, and I think my bottom lip is jutting farther out. My legs are numb along with my tongue. And the haunting taste of peanuts still lingers in my mouth.

The only thing I can hear is the soft quiet music playing from the sound boxes. Slowly getting softer.

Or maybe that's just my ears puffing up.

"Peyton!" I turned my head to see Luke sprinting towards me in the distance. Quicker than lighting he was by my side again, holding my EpiPen in his hands like a pro.

"Don't worry I've administered these before. I know what I'm doing." I barely felt the needle as it got pushed into my thigh. The EpiPen isn't completely immediate, but it slows down the effects and depletes swelling. Although a trip to the hospital will probably be necessary.

"Peyton? You with me Pey?" Luke's hands cupped my face and turned it towards him. I found myself absorbed into his deep blue eyes, the different shades swirling around.

"I don't want my gravestone to say death by peanut." I whimpered.

And that must have been the last thing I said before everything went black.