Prologue

[World War II, London, England]

I woke up to the sound of Mum's voice calling from downstairs. I tried to get myself up after a very exhausting day--my sixteenth birthday-- and shower. I've got into uniform and tied my hair up into a big fat messy bun. I heard my mother call again and said that breakfast was ready so I hurried and slipped on my black shoes.

I head downstairs to the kitchen and saw the biscuits that had been prepared for me. I gladly ate all those as Mum poured me a glass of milk. "Really, Mum? Milk?" I laughed as she placed the glass on the table, "Okay, I'm pretty sure you were here when I celebrated my sixteenth birthday." 

"Honey, no one's too old to drink milk," she said as she sat in front of me. "Yes, even your old man drinks milk," Dad said as he emerged from the living room holding his pile of letters sent to him for the whole week. "Goodmorning, Dad," I said and then sipped from my glass of milk. "Goodmorning, Hen," Dad went to make tea.

As he was scanning out his letters, I overheard Mum ask Dad quietly, "Have you told her yet?" and looked serious. Right then, they both turned to me looking like they suddenly have bad news to tell me so I slowly placed my glass of milk down and said, "Told me what? Dad, what's going on?"

Apparently, they do have bad news and my smile turned upside down. And I thought I was having a really great morning. "Hen, I need you to not freak out and be open-minded about this. But, unfortunately, your father lost his job and we will be making some tiny adjustments." Mum said and I can tell she was most upset for Dad. "What kind of adjustments exactly?" I asked, trying to be open-minded as they said. "Well, for starters, I can't take you to school today and you have to take the train today."

I finished breakfast, said goodbye to Mum and Dad, and then I grabbed my coat, gloves, and bag. I head outside to the cold morning air of London and walked to the train station.As I was walking, I was thinking of the dream I had last night. It was so strange. I was somewhere that seemed far far away from London and there were many trees and fields. I tried not to think about it much and kept walking.