Last Chapter

I would rather have eyes that cannot see,
A mouth that cannot speak,
Ears that cannot hear,
Than a heart that cannot love.

Omer

"What are you talking about?" Omer's voice was more bewildered than incredulous as he mouthed slowly.

His throat had suddenly dried and the eyes were narrowed, an alibi for his confused state. With mind that concentrated on the words being uttered at the other side, his eyes were fixed at the washroom's door ahead.

"I just want to meet her. Please." Her voice was desperate as she said and Omer's brows furrowed.

"Why? Wasn't it enough that I agreed to meet you?" The incredulity and boredom in his voice was back, his eyebrows arched.

"Omer, please. I will never contact you in any way ever again. Just let me meet her." Her tone turned pleading at the end and Omer closed his eyes, tired.

"I don't think that's possible. She'll never agree to meet you. And even if she does, I won't." He stated in an affirmative tone and heard Rameen breathe hard on the other side.

"Rameen, stay out of my life. I understand that you're sorry for what you did and I've forgiven you but that still doesn't change the fact that I won't allow you to come back in my life again. We are over, and the sooner you realise it, the better." His tone was unflinching but it wavered for a second at the end when he saw the door of the washroom opening and Fariya getting out.

Stepping inside the room, she smiled at Omer and moved towards the dressing table. Omer stared at the small of her back as he gulped down, his mind not registering what the woman on the line was saying for it was too occupied with the consequences of this talk.

"I'm sorry, what?" He shook his head as he lowered it, trying for a moment to deal with the situation in hand.

"I have realised it. I just want to..." She began but Omer cut her off with a sharp voice, eying Fariya who was brushing her hair.

"No, the answer is no. We can go on and on for hours and the answer will still be no. Good bye." His tone was hard enough that Fariya suddenly stopped her hand but to Omer's relief, she resumed her motion after a second.

Without waiting for the answer, he disconnected the call and placed the phone on the nightstand before placing his head in his hands, his eyes closed. He felt the bed dipping in beside him but didn't raise his head, tiredness making him do so.

"Who was it?" Fariya asked, her tone more casual than curious and Omer realised she was just trying to start a conversation.

His heart leapt to his throat as her words vibrated his ear drums, his shoulders sagging. He had just hoped that Fariya wouldn't ask that but she had and he saw no other way other than to answer her and that too, truthfully. After the consequence of the last time he had lied to her, he would give up anything not to repeat that again.

"Rameen." He whispered slowly before raising his head and turning it around to look at Fariya in the eye.

A sudden startled expression settled on her face but it was gone as soon as it came. He saw her gulping down before moistening her lips with her tongue.

"What..what did she want to talk about?" She asked slowly and Omer for a second felt bad for telling her.

"She wants to meet you." He was just playing the cards, hoping along the way that Fariya wouldn't react overwhelmingly, didn't know where his honestly will take him.

"Me? Why?" She narrowed her eyes as she asked and Omer shrugged his shoulders.

"I don't know. She just wants to talk to you about something." Omer bent his body forward and while placing his elbows on his knees, he turned his head around to look at her.