Chapter 5: The Little Gymnast

In the past few weeks since Jessica has become my new roommate, we have learned that we have so much in common.  We both love the Disney Movies so we ask our parents to go out and buy us a lot of Disney movies so we could have a Disney Movie marathon.

 Also Jessica has gotten so much better; she doesn’t need any more tubes to give her medication. So she sometimes leaves to go to the library to get a book for herself. She asks me if I ever want a book, but I always say no because it’s just too depressing to think about other people’s lives that are prefect in the books.

Eric has gotten into a lot of trouble with his parents and coaches from coming to make sure that I’m OK, when he supposed to be at home or at gymnastics. They decided that he can’t visit me for a whole week and a half, but my mother went out and bought me a phone because she felt bad that I can’t talk to any of my friends at gymnastics because there too busy. Eric try’s to text me when he has his breaks from gymnastics.

Suddenly Jessica’s and my mom walks in, there probably here to teach us our schools work that we have missed from being in the hospital for so long. We are learning the same things in each subject so our parents thought it would just be easier just to teach us together.

It’s a lot more fun because then I don’t have to answer all the questions and make it feel like I’m stupid when I answer something wrong. With Jessica we both answer stuff wrong so we don’t feel as bad.

After our parents left, Mr. Lee walks in with a huge smile on his face. He walks to where he was standing in between our beds. He looks me in the eye and says,” Abigail, I have wonderful news for you. From your latest x-rays we have found out that most of your broken spine has almost fully recovered. But I’m not saying that you will be walking anytime soon, but since you are recovering so fast. You are now allowing you to sit in a wheelchair and have someone else push you where ever you want to go.”

 My eyes are already watering from the shock of me being able to get out of the room, I whispered,” Thank you.” to him.

I got a sudden urge that I wanted to sit up and give him a big hug. He must have saw it in my face because he put his arm out and said,” Not so fast. You’re not that fully recovered, but if Jessica wants she could push you around your floor and see the many rooms we have.”

I looked at Jessica, she was smiling so big. She said to me,” Of course I will. I can show you the library and the therapeutic room. That room has everything in it.”

Mr. Lee interrupted Jessica by saying,” OK then. I’ll send in the nurses right away then.” Mr. Lee slowly turns and starts to leave.

I was shaking with excitement because I will finally be able to leave this cream colored room and see the bright colors of all the other rooms. I could even make a deal with Dr. Lee that I could go and see some of the other kids on my floor that doesn’t have a roommate to talk to.

Suddenly two nurses, one of them was Morgan, walked in wheeling in front of them was a wheelchair. They both had huge smiles on their faces. Morgan came up to me and said,” Can’t believe you get to ride in a wheelchair already. It seems like you just got here.” Morgan has come to me every day since I’ve been here. She is so much fun to talk to and it seems like Jessica likes her too.

“How are we going to get me into the wheelchair then?” I asked Morgan.

“Well I was thinking about raising the back of the bed so that you’re in sitting position. Then we would help you into the wheelchair. Does that sound OK?”

“Ya sure. I just want to get out of this room as soon as possible.” I sarcastically said to her.

Morgan laughed at my remark and said,” I bet you do. Just to warn you this may hurt a little bit.”