Chapter 20: Clumsy James

Please remember to Vote and Comment!!!

*****************************************************************************

For the next hour I formed a circle through the wood floor where I had been walking in a circle over and over again. I had a stupid smile on my face when I made a full circle without making a mistake. You will never understand how much a gift it is to walk until you get it stripped away from you for months.

While I was having the best time in what seems like months when it probably just been a few days, my mom was a nervous wreck. She has been running around the house making dinner and making herself look pretty like a chicken with her head cut off. The house smelled amazing from my mom’s rolls that were in the oven now. Halfway through one of my loops the beeper on the oven went off. Seconds later my mom strolled into the kitchen with the calmest look she has on her face four the past hour. She puts on one of the oven mitts and pulls out the rolls and sets them down on the top of the stove. Then she spun on her heel so she could face me while she ripped the oven mitt from her hand.

She gave me a sweet smile and then told me in a higher pitched voice," You need to go get changed and make yourself look like you didn't just get back from a marathon run before James gets here."

I stopped walking and turned towards my mom. I gave her a bitter looking face and I complained to her," He isn't even my boyfriend. Why do I have to get pretty for him?"

My mom stares right at me and I swear I could feel the heat of her stare burn a hole right through the middle of my forehead. She then told me in a stern voice," I'm not asking for you to get all dolled up for him. I'm asking for you to look like you didn't just got done running a marathon."

I gave her a small smile, all I was actually was doing was trying to poke her buttons a little bit. Using my crutches I made my way to my bedroom. I stripped off my chalky and sweaty leotard and put on some jean capris with a sparkly tank top from Hollister. I also redid my hair and just threw it back up into a tight ballerina bun. I didn't even bother on putting on any makeup.

I strolled out of my bathroom and found James sitting at our kitchen table watching my mother finish dinner. My mother heard me close my door behind us and she twisted her body around so that she was facing me. James of course also turned his attention to me so now there was an awkward silence while everyone stared at each other. My mother interrupted the silence by introducing me to James and James to me. We laughed at each other of how awkward the situation turned out to be.

We all sat down at the dinner room table as we waited for the rest of our dinner to get done cooking. By just looking at James you could tell that he was attractive, but he had this nerdy look to him. Maybe it was just the glasses that he was wearing that made him look nerdy. He was also semi tall and had lit blond hair. He was had some freckles that spread across his cheeks. For some weird reason he reminded me of Stuart Little so much.

The beeper of the oven went off right when we were in a heated debate about whether of not it would be a good idea to own a tea cup pig or not. I really liked how he never brought up the topic about my accident or gymnastics or really anything about my personal life. We just talked and debated about the most random things that you could imagine.

I got up from my chair to help my mom set the table. With a turkey in her hands, my mother turned to me and said in a higher pitch voice than usual," Abigail what about you just sit down and rest your legs. James can help me instead."

At the mention of James's name he stood up as fast as you think possible. On his way up he hit the table with his hand, making the table vibrate. I smiled down at my chest at how clumsy he really is when he isn't trying to look good in front of people.