Epilogue

Amy pulled her Jeep into the mass of trucks parked in front of the Yokum home, smiling at the sight, her tires whining as they packed down the falling snow.  Everyone congregated here in the morning and set about their business from the main house.  It made Amy think of the little circus cars that held an impossible amount of clowns.  Only instead of a car, it was Gail’s home.

In reality she and Ty were the only two living with Gail and Doug full time, though Katie was now home for the Christmas holiday.  Their presence here would soon change as Ty had broken ground and set to work on their own home shortly after they got married.

“Come on Max, let’s see if everyone’s back for lunch.”

Max whined softly and waited as Amy slid from her seat before jumping out himself.  She left her Ferrier tools in the back of the Jeep to take back to the barn later.  Max trotted ahead of her as she shuffled through the snow, measuring mentally that there must be a of couple inches already.  The first real snow storm of the season and it was coming on Christmas Eve.  How cliché. 

Amy smiled.  Cliché or not, she loved it.  Pennsylvania hadn’t had a good snow storm in years, especially on Christmas.  She opened the door to Gail’s screen porch, letting Max scramble in ahead of her.  He stood with his nose to the kitchen door, impatiently waiting for her to stomp the snow off her boots and wipe her feet.  When she finally allowed him into the warm kitchen he hurried in, searching for Gail.

The woman spoiled him like a grandchild, which she was quick to remind everyone she didn’t have yet.  The woman baked homemade dog treats for Max and he knew a sucker when he saw one.

“Well, hello Max!” Gail called as he nudged her leg and then sat down beside her.

Amy rolled her eyes and grinned, closing the door behind her.  Other than Gail and Katie, the kitchen was empty.

“No farm hands in for lunch yet, I see.”

Katie shook her head and continued laying out napkins and condiments on the table.  “They should be up in a few.  Dad just radioed to say they were finishing up.”

“How were your horses? Was it as important as they claimed to call you out on Christmas Eve?” Gail asked, offering Max some treats and then looking up at Amy.

Since marrying Ty and becoming part of the Yokum family she had built up her own kennel and Ferrier business.  Between her love for animals, experience on the farm and a B.A. in business management, she’d been successful at becoming her own boss.

Amy nodded.  “It was, but not for me.  At least not right away.  The horse is foundering so I called the vet as soon as I saw it.  She graciously came over to take a look.  They’re going to start treatment and I’m going to look into different shoeing options to help him out.”

Katie wrinkled her nose, asking, “Why did they call you first if the horse is foundering?”

“They’re newbies to the horse world.  They didn’t understand what was happening and assumed it was a shoe problem.  They’ll learn quick.  They seem responsible, just green.”

Katie nodded and went back to setting up the table.  Amy glanced over at Gail who had gone back to assembling a platter of meats and cheeses.  Max sat by her feet, hoping for another treat.

“If the guys aren’t back yet I’m going to walk out the lane and check the mail.  I don’t think anyone got it yesterday.” Amy offered.

“Okay.  Hopefully they’ll be in by the time you get back.” Gail agreed with a smile.

Amy turned towards the door, tugging her gloves out of her pocket.  “Come on Max.”

Max turned his head to look at her but didn’t move.