Chapter Thirteen

While the first month of the mission trip seemed to drag by at an agonizing pace, the last four weeks went by in a flurry of activity for Amy.  Not only did she finally engage herself in the Bible studies and mission work but her free time became divided between running with Ryan and planning her wedding.

Katie and Lori quickly pulled together ideas on Pinterest, creating a board for Amy to peruse through and give her approval.  Those ideas were then sent on to Gail and Libby who were taking care of the leg work back home.

Ty and Amy tried to keep it simple, limiting the bridal party to their siblings.  The dress code for the boys included jeans and vests while the girls could pick anything nice that went well with cowboy boots.  The only truly formal person would be Amy and finding her gown proved to be the hardest part of the planning process.

She sifted through what seemed like hundreds of photos of brides in cowboy boots, looking for a dress that she knew would fit her body well, wasn’t too fancy for a farm wedding and would need minimal, if any, altering.  Thankfully Libby knew someone willing to do last minute alterations if needed.

They found themselves volunteering in New York City on their last mission stop and it turned out to be the perfect place for Amy to find a dress.  Katie and Lori researched, both online and by word of mouth, to find the best places to shop and when their buses pulled from the city Amy had a gown to take with her.

Libby also found someone that volunteered to make a wedding cake.  The woman was a patient of her Mom’s and after three babies she was willing to return a favor.  She graciously sent Amy pictures of her ideas so she and Ty could look through them and decide.

Ty still found it hard to believe that Amy could plan a wedding in six weeks but he didn’t complain when she asked him for his opinion or input.  Now that she allowed him back in her life the patience he’d exhibited for five years seemed to be at its limits.  He wanted to make her his, officially and permanently.  The day couldn’t arrive fast enough.

However, of all the wedding plans they tackled those last few weeks of the trip, the biggest accomplishment that Amy was most proud of was seeing her family accept Ryan.  Now that they understood what he meant to her and how much his presence led to her recovery, any suspicion and animosity disappeared.  When Amy explained to Ty and Toby that she wanted Ryan to walk her down the aisle they both embraced it.

Ryan knew what it meant to lose a father, even if Mark had technically been his uncle.  He understood better than anyone else what that absence felt like for Amy and he could fill the void her father left in a way that Toby could not.

When the time came for them to part ways Amy found it hard to say good-bye.  She kept her tears at bay only because she knew she’d see him in two weeks for the wedding.

Ryan pulled away from her hug, giving her a teasing smile.  “I’ll call you every morning just to make sure you’re out of bed and running.”

Amy groaned.  “Seriously? You know, without you around I could  just tell you I’m going and then go back to sleep.”

Ryan shook his head and tapped the phone in her pocket.  “You could.  But that app I put on your phone would tell me you’re lying when it doesn’t log a route or any miles.”

Amy narrowed her eyes, wondering if he really did that or not.  She wouldn’t put it past him.  “Ryan Parks, you better make it worth my while!  And no more stealing people’s phones.  That’s a Commandment, you know!”

Ryan laughed.  “Is that a new one?  God added number eleven – Thou Shalt not Steal Your Friends Cell Phones?”

“Exactly!”