Chapter Four

Amy woke the next day, determined to stick by her plan to enjoy the summer.  She had always been good about compartmentalizing issues – not letting her home life spill over into the classroom or her work environment.  She figured this was the same thing – she needed to put her Dad’s death and subsequent anger into its own little compartment and stash it in some dark corner of her mind where she could take it out later when it wouldn’t affect so many people.  How successful she would be remained to be seen. 

They shared breakfast at the camp again and then participated in the worship service provided outside around the fire ring.  Well, at least everyone else participated.  Amy did her best to endure.  Afterwards they headed to their cabins to pack up and load onto the buses.  From here they would head to the Outer Banks.  Details would be provided once the buses were underway.

Bob and Lexi waited until the bus had pulled from the camp and was cruising down the road again before they stood to get everyone’s attention.  Amy had asked to sit on the aisle this time around, which surprised Toby, but he didn’t fight it.  Now he leaned across her lap to get a view of Bob and Lexi.  Amy lovingly dug her elbow into his rib cage as she too leaned over to see them better.

“Ow!” Toby growled, giving her a dirty look.

“Oh, I’m sorry.  Didn’t see you there.” Amy teased.

Toby just rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to their leaders.

“The ride to the Outer Banks should only take about three hours from here. We’ll be staying in a hotel in south Nags Head.  We want to get you all checked in and give you a chance to get settled.  Tonight will be a free night for you but please don’t make it a late one.  We’ll be meeting with the Carolina Crisis Organization in the morning for the details of our work.  Most of the damage is further south in the Outer Banks around Rodanthe and Avon.  They will be providing the transportation down and back.  We’ll be working Monday through Friday, helping to repair or rebuild wherever necessary.  This coming weekend will be yours.”

The bus erupted in cheers at the opportunity to spend a weekend at the beach without any work to do.

“I expect you all to put in some good hard work during the week, prove you deserve the down time!” Lexi added.

Katie and Lori laid back their seats and peered over them at Toby and Amy.  Across the aisle, Ty glanced their way too.

“I wonder what kind of work we’ll be doing?” Lori mused.  “I’m not exactly a handy man.  I’m better at redecorating than repairing.”

Toby snorted.  “I’m sure that’s on the top of the crisis organization’s list: find an interior designer.  Preferably one who has a flair for the dramatic, Egyptian cotton, and bright colors.”

Amy had to laugh, despite the outrage on her sister’s face.  Even Katie giggled.

“Relax, Lori.  I’m sure they won’t let us do anything that we can screw up too badly.  They don’t want us to leave and have someone’s house fall down again.” Amy soothed.

Lori huffed and turned her nose up at her brother.  “Well, en-ee-way,” she continued, dragging out the word, “It’s awesome that we get some time to ourselves.  I’ve never been to the Outer Banks.  I wonder what there is to do?”

“Maybe we could do a fire on the beach?” Katie suggested.  “Kinda like we do at home.  Ty could play guitar, we could sing and be stupid, as usual.”

“Will they let you build fires on the beach?” Lori asked.

Toby shrugged.  “Most of it is pretty unpatrolled.  There are more rental houses than hotels down there.  I guess we could ask at the hotel.”