My Girls

It was your average school day when I noticed it. I had only recently broken up with my boyfriend after he'd left me stranded on some highway in between this town and the next. It had taken the police hours to find me, as my phone was dead, and the two minute phone call I'd just managed had included me crying to Mum saying I had no idea where I was, and my boyfriend she'd warned me about was the biggest arsehole. But anyway, there was a group of girls in the school yard at lunch. Nothing unusual about that. Until you got close that is.

Charlie was that chick nobody liked, but were too scared of to say or do anything about. She was with her posse, surrounding some girl. She wasn't new or anything, in fact, as far as I knew at the time she'd attended this school longer than I had, I'd only started here last year. It was rumoured that this girl was one hundred percent gay. A lesbian. Charlie wasn't very accepting with differences. Apparantly it was because her Dad hit her every time she did something 'weird'. I wasn't sure if I should believe that or not. Either way, I could summon little more than hatred for her. Charlie definitely didn't deserve my pity or sympathy.

Her name was Jamie, the girl, I'd never actually spoken to her personally, but I'd always found her strangely attractive. I wasn't gay by any means, I mean, I didn't think I was. I couldn't be, I just broke up with my boyfriend for petes sake . . . Oh.

Anyway, I ignored what was happening like everyone else did, or, at least I tried to. Charlie had the ability to make your life Hell if she wanted to. She was the reason nobody here knew I had three Grandmothers, and no Grandpas. I didn't know anyone on my Fathers side, didn't want to know anyone, but on my Mums side, I had gay Grandmas. Grandmum, Grandmama, and Julie. But that's irrelevent.

I had no friends. No reputation. No life pretty much. so really, I had nothing to lose.

"Hey! Leave her alone!" I called out. The evil words spewing from Charlie and her posses mouths stopped. A silence.

"What?" Charlie turned and looked at me, eyes slitted into a glare, mouth set in a cruel line. Her dyed black hair framed her face, her fringe creating a shadow over her features, giving a creepy effect. I swallowed thickly.

"I-I said, I, ugh, just leave her alone!" I was the knight in grey, dented armor, facing the feared dragon who'd terrorized and defeated the bravest of knights in the shiniest of armor. Yeah. I was gonna die.

"Yeah? Watcha gonna do 'bout it huh? Slut?" It was no secret I wasn't a virgin, I wasn't sure how they'd even found out, but I'd lost my virginity years ago. When I was four. It still hurt to talk about it, even now. I wished wholly that they wouldn't keep bringing it up. It hurt. Bad. My eyes became slits, my forehead crinkling into a frown.

"Watch it Plastic, just leave her alone. I promise if you do, and stop calling me that, you might keep that nose of yours." Everyone whispered that Charlie was plastic, never loud enough or often enough for Charlie to realise it was being said, but it was. My fists tightened as she stepped forward, a threat in her eyes. One thing nobody here truly knew about me, though it should have been the first thing they learned, is that I had a wicked temper. Charlie was bringing it out.

"Excuse me?" Her voice was ice on my ears, no, nails on a chalkboard. My ears would bleed if she ever dared sing.

"You heard me." Her mouth tightened, squeezing into a cats bottom before her perfectly manicured nails were swinging towards my face. I didn't quite duck in time, a nail, presumably the middle one, caught my lip. Cutting it.

No. Nobody hits me, and gets away with it.

I narrowed my eyes dangerously, my sight blurring ever so slightly. I could feel my nails, the ones I'd neglected to bite that day, digging into my palms. Her arm raised to swipe at me again with those blue talons, and I caught it. My fist swung out beneath it, to connect with her flat stomach using the same force I used to put holes in my bedroom wall. She doubled over, gasping in pain and probably trying to catch her breath.