9 Months Later - 17

When I got to Vince’s the smile on his face when he came to the door disgusted me. He kept talking about all the great things that would happen, and how we were going to be a real family.

“Everything’s going to be great. I Promise.” He said leading Lena and I up the stairs and down the hall. He opened the door to an extremely pink room. It looked as though I’d stepped into a Disney princess’s room from her childhood. The room was spectacular and I was sure Lena would love it. She had fallen asleep and I’d carried her inside to lay her down. I still hadn’t said one word to Vince, but with all his talking he hadn’t noticed.

I walked over to the crib and laid Lena in it. She was still fast asleep. I placed the doll Vince had given her earlier that day next to her so when she woke up she’d be happy. I didn’t want to walk back to Vince by the door. He had done the most horrible thing ever. Even worse than his leaving me. I felt tears start to fill my eyes as I thought of the predicament he’d put me in. If he truly loved us he’d have allowed us to be happy with or without him. I felt his hand on my back and turned to find him smiling at me. But when he saw my face his turned to surprise. He led me out of the room and closed the door.

When we reached the hallway he kept walking until we’d reached a room a few doors down. He opened it and ushered me inside. The room we’d walked into was smaller and less extravagant than Lena’s. It was void of personality and was sparsely decorated. A bed, dresser and mirror were about the only things in the room. He sat on the bed and patted the spot next to him for me to sit.

“Nic I know-“ He began before I cut him off.

“Collette.” I said.

“What?” He asked looking confused.

“My name is Collette, I haven’t gone by Nic in years. I’d appreciate being called by my name.”

“Okay, Collette I know this wasn’t the way to go about things and I’m sorry its upsetting to you but I refuse to allow that man to be apart of your’s and Lena’s lives. No guy should except for me.”

“You had the choice and you left us.” I said immediately. “And Damon has been more apart of Lena’s and my life than you ever have. You’ve got no right to do what you did. No right.” I said feeling the tears come once again. I felt his hand start to rub circles on my back and jumped up.

“Don’t touch me. What you’ve done is worse than before. I could accept a guy being a afraid of becoming a dad, like I’d thought at the time. But this you forcing me to come here at the risk of losing a child who you’ve never been involved with before is sick. All because the guy I love isn’t someone you like.” When I’d finished I looked at him and seen he was angry.

“How can you say you love him? He’s a monster.”

“And so are you.” I said quietly.

He stood up after I said that. “You’ll stay in this room until you decide to be with me completely. But know that the wedding will go on as planned and you will be my wife whether you’ve opened up your heart to me again or not. And don’t think of trying to leave, you won’t be successful.” With that he left the room and shut the door behind him.