Berry II

The teenagers in school always joke around about how lunch is their favorite subject, because for some reason eating is funny now a days, but not for me. Never for me.

It's not that I mind eating, or eating in front of people, but it's the noise. And the crowd. All through grade school, middle school, even now as a senior I hate the lunch room. It's something about hundreds of kids cooped up in a single huge room, their overly loud voices bouncing and echoing around the high ceilinged cafeteria that just gets under my skin. I have always felt uneasy in large crowds, so pep rallies and football games (like I would go to any) are horrible for me as well.

Kirstie and I always had our secluded little table in the corner opposite the door, filled with our closest friends and colleagues, most of them from choir. Scott used to sit in the stereotypical 'jock' table, even though he didn't play any sports like the others.

Now, as I'm laughing hysterically at a silly quarrel Scott and Kirstie are debating over, I realize I feel much more relaxed I am when I forget about how loud it is and focus more on other things. I actually completely forgot the sound of screaming high schoolers for a moment there.

"No, you idiot, dogs are so much better!" Kirstie says, tone slightly offended.

"No, nope, you're so wrong! Cats are the best." Scott shoots back.

"But cats are heartless things with no feelings, and they don't do anything all day! Dogs are snuggly and loyal! You can't look me in the eye and tell me that you wouldn't pick a dog over a cat to snuggle up with."

"Hold on," he scoots close up to her face over the table, staring her in the eyes, "I wouldn't pick a dog over a cat to snuggle with." She slaps his arm. "And plus, dogs stink, they're super messy. I'm even allergic to cats, but I'd rather be sneezing a lot than wiping up pee stains and shit piles."

"If you train them correctly, they'll go to the bathroom outside!"

"If you actually show affection to a cat it'll do the same to you!"

"Guys, stop!" I giggle, taking a sip of my water.

"Well, what're your thoughts on this, Mishy? Cats or dogs? Demons or Angels?" Kirstie smirks at her own joke.

"Yeah, which would you choose?"

"Hmm." I tap my chin in faux contemplation. "That's a hard one. I don't have a cat or anything."

"Yup. And he's adorable." Scott adds.

"You've seen him, like, once!" Kirstie contradicts.

"Sure, but he's still adorable! You can't deny it."

"He has a cute face, but he's a little freaking devil! Mitch, you say all the time that you'd love to snap his neck. You can't deny that."

"Yeah, well, sometimes we don't get along because we're so much alike."

Kirstie snorts. "You're not wrong."

"Of course not!" I give her a sassy smile, popping a grape in my mouth.

"I feel like your only agreeing with Scott because your tongues are best friends." She rolls her eyes as I shrug.

"That could be a factor. I think your getting upset 'cause you're jelous."

"You're hilarious."

"You're not wrong." I smirk, sticking my tongue out at her pissed-off face.

She scoffs, animalistically biting her peanut butter sandwich with vigor, shifting her eyes from me to pout. I make eye contact with Scott for a moment, both of us busting out laughing.