Ch. 18 I hear bells

Harper Morgan
    To say I feel uncomfortable with the whole town knowing what is going on between Ajax and I, is the understatement of the century and now Remmy knows. I think he deserved to hear it from me, but Ma apparently has other plans. I watch Ajax smile knowing he loves to see me squirm. I glare at him for laughing, he's just encouraging Ma's behavior.
"Ajax, you're welcome to come for supper." Ma, says. Smiling triumphantly like she just had all her dreams come true. I roll my eyes.
"I was planning on cooking for Harp tonight, but I guess we can do that tomorrow?"
I nod in agreement, now that Remmy's here and staying at his house, I'd say our plans have to change. "Poor Harper is useless in the kitchen." Remmy, states chuckling.
Ajax nods his head enthusiastically. "You should've seen what she made for lunch. I still don't know what it was exactly." He says, sounding horrified.
"It was a cheesy chicken and rice casserole, smartass." I retort. See if I try cooking for him again, I just lost track of time. Ma scolds me for cussing and Remmy laughs. "Well, have no fear. I won't cook for you ever again." I reply smugly, looking at Ajax.
"Can I get that in writing?" He mutters, smirking into his coffee.
I gasp and while the other three laugh hysterically. Fighting the urge to join them, I take a sip of my coffee pretending I can't hear them.
"Don't worry honey I can teach you how to cook. You'll need to learn if your getting married soon." Ma points out.
I groan loudly, "Ma, will you please stop! I'm not getting married any time soon. No matter how great the discount." I argue. "Plus, if learning to cook is a perquisite for marriage you can count me out."
"She doesn't need to cook, thats what Rosa's for." Ajax responds, not at all helpful.
I give him impatient look. When he looks back confused, I clarify. "Can you please back me up with this? Tell her we're not getting married."
He looks thoughtful for a minute before he asks, "Just how good is this discount? And when does it end, exactly?"
"Ajax!" I yell.
"Well, the bet is-" Ma starts to say.
"There's a bet!" I moan, leaning back in my chair.
"Like I was saying, before I was so rudely interrupted" she, says, giving me the side eye. "The bet is, if I can get the order in by the 30th of next month, we get a 30% discount. If we don't, we pay full price." Ma tells Ajax, completely serious about getting this discount.
"I say its worth it, Harp. I mean 30%." He repeats, sounding awed. However, I see the mischievous glint in his eye.
"Bite me." I mouth to him so Ma doesn't hear.
His eyebrow raises, "Anywhere?" He asks. Smiling ear to ear.
I take a deep breath. Fine if this is the game he wants to play, I'll play. "You're right, cupcake. 30% is worth it. Now what exactly were you thinking in terms of flowers?" I ask, overly sweet.
"Daisy's because they're your favorite, my love." He answers, laying on the charm. Earning a loud heartfelt "Awe." From Ma.
"And cake?" I question, not giving him satisfaction of seeing me squirm.
"The biggest red velvet cake they can possibly make, sugar." He responds, naming my favorite cake.
"Invitations." I hiss.
"We can stop by and take a look tomorrow."
"Location!" I yell, trying to trip him up on something.
"Married at St. Rita's of course." He answers and looks at my mom for conformation, who in turn smilies lovingly up at him. "...and reception here, we'll set up one of those big tents for parties."
"I hate you." I grumble, out of questions.
He smacks his lips together, "Love you too, babe."
"You think you're so funny." I reply, rolling my eyes.
"Isn't that kind of soon?" Remmy asks, hesitantly.
Ma huffs, "Of course, not. They were destined for each other from the cradle."
"By destined she means 'arranged marriage'." I grumble, looking at Remmy who looks a little out of sorts. I'm sure I look exactly the same.
"It was never arranged, it was just a wish Adelaide and I had." Ma clarifies, clearly annoyed with me.
"Who's Adelaide?" Remmy asks.
"Ajax's mother, honey." Ma answers, patting his arm.

Ajax West
By the time dinner rolls around I have gotten yelled at, glared at, and given the silent treatment. As Harp leaves to wash up before dinner I follow her. As she start to shut the door I force my way in, angry with her. "What the hell is wrong with you?" I ask, instantly realizing my mistake.
"What's wrong with me! Are you kidding me?" She asks, red faced.
I put my hands up and nod, "Okay, It wasn't funny to tease you. I'm sorry."
She crosses her arms in front of herself thinking about whether to accept my apology or not. "Don't do that again. Promise?" She says.
"Promise." I agree, moving closer.
"She takes this seriously you know. Who do you think she'll blame when she doesn't win the bet?" She complains.
I feel the smile tug at my lips and try my best to flatten it out. "You." I nod, seeing where she's coming from. "I'll take the blame, don't worry."
"Oh, please. You and I both know that wont work. You've always been the golden child while the rest of us are just red headed step-children."
"I really don't like you insinuating us being related." It pissed me off the day she came home and its pissing me off right now.
"I don't mean it like that. However, you're still the favorite of both of our mothers." She pouts.
"I am-n..." I was about to say not, but by the look on her face, it'd be my balls if I don't agree with her. "Alright, I'm the favorite." I acknowledge, pulling her into my arms. I hug her tightly to me smelling her jasmine scented hair. "Just so you know, I do plan on marrying you, someday. When you're ready."
She looks up at me. "I'm okay with someday."
When I lean down to kiss her she meets me halfway. The kiss starts off sweetly enough, but by the time we hear our names being called we're both breathing heavily. We break apart only for a second before I lift her onto the sink and continue my assault on her mouth. She moans and I swear on my life I've never heard anything so sexy. As I start to drag her shirt up there's a knock at the door.
"Dinner's ready! Don't make me come knock again. From the sounds I heard I wont be eating much tonight. You know thats a bathroom, right? Disgusting." Dan's voice interrupts, ruining the good time we were having.
"Well, thats not embarrassing." Harp says, taking the end of her shirt from me and sliding it down. I groan out of frustration. She laughs and kisses the corner of my mouth. "Oh, buck up buttercup. It'll all be worth it in the end."