Ch. 14 Breakfast

Harper Morgan
Laying in rather comfortable bed at Granny Hershaw's I hear my alarm. Keeping my eyes shut I feel for the black box, my fingers find the small bar and I slide it to off. 6:30 a.m....And there's music playing? Laying back against the pillow I listen carefully.  "If tomorrow never comes..." Good ole Garth Brooks. I can't help but smile. Granny must be up making breakfast. I take a deep breath and pick up the scent of pancakes and sausage in the air. My mouth starts to water as I fling off the blankets and quickly shower and dress. When I make it downstairs Granny is at the table with her coffee and the smile that lights her face it of genuine happiness.
"Its about time. The rate you're going you're going to be late, missy." She scolds, jokingly.
Smiling back, I take a seat at the table. A plate with pancakes stacked four high and three sausages on the side already made for me. "You really didn't need to do this. But thank you it looks and smells delicious."
"I wanted to. I miss getting up and cooking for someone. Kira doesn't ever stir until close to 8." She responds with a irritated huff.
I cant help but smile at her indignation. Kira doesn't have to be to the Amelia's until 9 and it's five minutes down the road. Why Granny would expect her to be up this early is beyond me. It's things like this that makes me wish I knew my grandparents, but I was young when both sets of my grandparents died. I remember Ma's mother the most, for whatever reason. I think because she used to argue with mMa so much, it kind of reminds me of our relationship now. Not that we argue like ma did with Grandma, but Ma and I never really see eye to eye on most things.
"How do you find working for Ajax?" She asks, before sipping from her pink coffee mug covered in Persian cats.
"I find it challenging at times. Ajax can be a little bossy, but I know how to put him in his place." I answer, smirking.
She laughs heartily before responding. "You always did now how to handle those boys. Had him wrapped around your finger since you were a baby."
Now its my turn to laugh. Thats not quite the way I remember growing up. I remember following the boys around constantly, ignoring their attempts to get rid of me. I was persistent though. I suppose to an outsider it would look like it was a mutual love between Ajax, Dan and I, but to be honest it was completely forced on their parts.
"I don't think I left them with a choice. I made them play with me and include me. I think it got to a point that it was just automatic as we got older. They learned to stop complaining because they knew I wasn't going anywhere."
"Like I said. Wrapped around your finger they were. No matter how you look at it. You certainly handled them like a pro even at a young age."
I nod. "I suppose you're right." I agree.
"Oh, I am. What's he got to be bossy about? He works with cattle, he doesn't need to be meddling in your affairs. Last I heard thats why Paxton hired you, because Ajax didn't want to be bothered with that part of the business."
I take a bite of pancake to buy me some time to reply. Chewing slowing I shrug, "I guess he doesn't trust me completely."
"Hogwash." She retorts.
I giggle before replying. "Well, then I guess you'll have to ask him."
"I just may. Has he heard from his parents?"
The question gives me pause. "You know, I am not sure. If he has, he hasn't mentioned it to me, but I cant imagine Mr. West not checking in on the Ranch. And you know Mrs. West wouldn't go a day without talking to her baby."
"Oh, of course not. He's Adelaide's pride and joy. I've never met a more doting mother then her." I nod, agreeing wholeheartedly with her. It always made me a little jealous to see such love in the West's home. I can honestly say Dan and I didn't have even half the amount of affection Ajax grew up in.
"I can only hope I'm a quarter of the mother that Mrs. West is to Ajax."
"Thinking of kids are you?"
I nearly spit out the coffee I just sipped. I cough, "No, not really. Just thinking about the differences in how Dan and I were raised. Our Ma isn't nearly as outwardly loving as Mrs. West."
"Oh, dear." She says, loving patting my hand. "Not all of us are raised the same. Your mother raised you the way she was taught. And don't you for a minute think that she loves you any less than Adelaide loves Ajax."
I smile at her words, taking comfort from them. "You're right, again." I state, laughing slightly.
"Baby girl, you don't get to my age without learning everything there is to know." She replies, haughtily. I chuckle at her superior attitude.
I finish the last of my breakfast and stand up, lifting my plate off the table I carry it to the sink. "I guess I should get going. Don't want to upset my tyrant boss." I joke, soaping up and rinsing off my plate. "Thanks again for the lovely meal, I haven't had pancakes this good in a very long time." I add, placing my plate, fork and coffee mug in the drying rack.
"It was my pleasure, dear. Now, tell that Ajax to mind his manners or I'll be calling his mama." She says, the threat making me smile.
"I will. Call if you need anything. Anything at all." I reply. I wave goodbye as I walk out of the kitchen and to the front door. Taking my purse from one of the wooden pegs hanging from the wall. I quietly open and close the door, hoping to not wake Kira. Hitting the unlock button on my way to Dan's car. Throwing my purse into he passenger seat I climb in and shut the door.
The drive to The West End is uneventful. I watch the small town come to life and I feel a sense of peace, its the feeling you can only get from coming home. I see the lights of the Ranch and watch as the cattle grazes behind the white picket fence.
I see Clint as I shut the door giving him a small wave. I see his contagious big grin and smile back. Movement at the barn draws my attention and I watch as Dan walks through the barn doors talking to Ajax. Deciding its best to avoid my dropdead sexy boss in his worn jeans and tight shirt I turn towards the house. Lunch should be interesting. The kiss we shared isn't one that I'll likely forget anytime soon.

Yes I know its short, but this is all time I have to work on it today...hoping I can get more done this week. I definitely owe you another chapter this week! XOXO