Ch. 11 Get Saved

Harper Morgan
"Dan, I need a car! Please." I beg, using the whinny voice I know he hates.
"You're a horrible driver. Don't think for a second I forgot who crashed my four-wheeler."
"I was 14!"
"Don't care." He responds, stubbornly.
"I'll pay for full coverage insurance while I use it." I plead.
After a minute of mental deliberation he concedes. "Fine, but one scratch and the deals off."
"Got it." I readily agree, but not before asking sarcastically, "You do know its a 2009 Ford Focus and not a Ferrari, right?"
"I do. But it is MY 2009 Ford Focus and you will treat it like a Ferrari."
"Sure will." I say, smiling ear to ear.
"I'll drive it over after church. Why do you need a car so bad anyway?"
"I'm moving in with Kira." I answer.
After only a slight pause he responds in a much better mood. "Why didn't you say that before?"
"Does it matter?" I ask, confused by his sudden switch in attitude.
"Yes. I'll see you at the service." He replies, hanging up before I can ask anymore questions. He obviously doesn't like me staying with Ajax. Damn! I could've got the car without paying for the extra insurance. I groan hanging up the phone and pour another cup of coffee. I turn to walk to the table and bump into Ajax. "Oops, sorry." I say, as coffee spills over his shoes.
"Was that Dan you were talking to?" He questions, obviously hearing some part of the conversation.
I nod my head yes. "He's letting me borrow his car." I explain.
He smirks. "Doesn't he remember what you did to his quad?" Narrowing my eyes at his question I refill my cup with more coffee.
"Oh, he remembers." I mutter, tearing off some paper towel and cleaning up the coffee that spilled on the floor.
He nods, looking more somber. "He just doesn't want you staying here."
I shrug. "I guess. What going on with him?"
"I haven't a clue." He answers, shaking his head.
"But you're best friends." I reply.
"Not when it comes to you." He says, quietly. "We better get going."
As we walk out the door toward his truck I can feel his eyes on me. My suspicions are confirmed when I hear him say, "You look nice today." I cant help the smile that tugs at my lips.
"Thanks, you don't look half bad yourself." I reply, turning slightly toward him. The Prestons always insisted on looking very formal for church. Somehow, it still surprises me to see him look just as at ease in a suit than in his worn out jeans and tee shirts.
"Is this how I have to dress to impress you?"
I chuckle as he opens the door to the truck, "It definitely helps." I quip, settling myself and putting on my seatbelt.
Watching him walk to the drives side his slight smile makes me smile even bigger. A lot has happened between us, but it kind of feels like nothing has happened at the same time. Its been so long. I don't remember when I stopped missing him, but if I were to leave now I know I'd feel the void. He has a way of making life more interesting, thats for sure.
"When are you leaving?" His question surprises me.
My delayed response has his turning in his seat toward me. "Um, tonight. Tonight I guess." I answer, this time with my conviction.
My eyes meet his briefly before his go back to the road. "I still want to take you fishing. Without your brother."
"Okay, when?" I ask, agreeing to go. I'd be nice to have some one on one time with him. We have a lot to rediscover and discoverer about one another.
"Today, after church." He replies, clearly happy with my response. "Loser has to gut." He adds, turning and narrowing his eyes jokingly.
"Right." I laugh, knowing he won't make me clean the fish, he never has. I feel my chest warm. I loved that about him, I still love that about him. We are quiet the rest of the drive to church, each of us preoccupied with our own thoughts.

SORRY THIS IS ALL I COULD GET DONE TODAY! I will update again tomorrow because this was so short! 😘