Chapter 116

**Maddie’s POV**

A few days after the twins’ birthday I leave the children with Molly and go to visit Andromeda and Teddy.

“How’re you feeling?” I ask her anxiously, taking off my coat, “you look tired.”

“I’ve been getting worse each day,” she sighs. Her face is pale and her hair has more grey in it than the last time I saw it. Her hands shake as she pours the tea.

“Would you like me to take Teddy until you get better?” I offer, concerned. She smiles sadly.

“That’s why I wanted you to visit,” she says, sinking into her chair, “I’m not going to get better. I want you to take Teddy and raise him.”

“Don’t be silly,” I try to laugh, “you’ll be fine!”

“No,” she smiles, “after losing Ted, Nymphadora was too much.”

I feel a tear well in my eye. Andromeda puts her hand on my arm.

“Don’t cry,” she whispers, “just promise me, promise you’ll take good care of him.”

“Of course,” I nod, “I’ll raise him as if he were my own.”

“Thank you,” she says, looking satisfied, “thank you.”

Only two days later Andromeda passes away.

“She was always my favourite cousin,” Dad says, his arm around my shoulders as we watch her coffin being lowered into the ground. The Malfoy family are here, standing apart from everyone else. Narcissa looks very pale.

I clutch Teddy close to me and nestle my face in his soft, downy hair. I want to say something, but there’s something blocking my throat. A sob pushes its way through followed by another and another. Dad pulls me close and holds me tightly.

“George,” he says, “you need to take her home.”

We install Teddy into the bedroom with the twins and after a couple of weeks it’s like he’s always been here.

“I hope where ever they are, Tonks and Remus know he’s being taken care of,” I whisper to George, looking at the three babies in their cots, sleeping. He kisses me on the top of my head.

“You need to sleep,” he says.

On my birthday I wake to a bed full of children. Alithea climbs into my lap, Carmen and Fred are sitting up by themselves and Teddy with the aid of George.

“Happy birthday Mummy!” Alithea says, “we got you pressie!”