Chapter 117

Presents and clothes to the right in the slide show :) Enjoy!

_____________________________________________________________________________

*Maddie’s POV**

Christmas Eve. I’m not sure who’s more excited, Alithea or I. We’ve just finished decorating the Christmas tree and putting out the milk and cookies for Santa and the carrots and water for his reindeer. The stockings are hanging above the fireplace. It’s seven-thirty and Teddy and the twins have crashed. Alithea is sitting, wrapped in a warm blanket on the lounge reading a book with George.

“Time for bed, beautiful,” I tell her, kissing the top of her head.

“I’m not tired!” she protests.

“You have to fall asleep so Santa can come,” I tell her, “he doesn’t come if you’re awake.”

“He does!” she insists.

“Daddy, will Santa come if Alithea is awake?” I ask George.

“No, Santa will only come if Alithea is fast asleep,” George says solemnly.

“But I’m not tired!” she whines, rubbing her eyes. I gather her up in my arms and carry her upstairs. She’s asleep before I reach the second floor. I tuck her into bed, check on Teddy, Carmen and Fred, and slip downstairs again.

“I love Christmas,” I tell George sitting down next to him. He gives me a kiss on the forehead.

“Will we do the whole stocking-present thing now?” he asks. I nod. We put a candy cane and a little chocolate Santa in each stocking, including ours, along with a new doll for Alithea, a teddy for Teddy, a toy car for Fred and a ball with little ducks inside for Carmen.

I stand back and look at the bulging stockings. Looking at Teddy’s makes me sad. Remus and Tonks should have been here for his first Christmas.

“Now we can go to bed,” George yawns, rubbing his eyes. I smile at how similar he and Alithea are.

“Not yet,” I say, “we have to drink the milk and eat the cookies!”

“What about the reindeer stuff?” he asks as I pick up a cookie and crunch it, making sure some crumbs fall back onto the plate.

“Pour the water out and cut the top off one of the carrots, the rest can go back in the basket,” I tell him over the glass of milk. He follows my instructions and puts the top of the carrot on the table.

“You can’t leave it like that!” I exclaim, “give it here.”

I chew the top of the carrot so it looks as if something has actually eaten it.

“I don’t think they would have noticed,” George points out.