Chapter 106

**Maddie’s POV**

I wake up early and sneak out while George is still sleeping. It’s his birthday and I haven’t had a chance to get anything for him or Fred.

I dress in the bathroom and slip out into the garden, stretching. The air is warm and golden and I can smell flowers.

I look at my watch. By my calculations I have at least an hour before anyone wakes up. I pace the garden, unsure what to do. Usually I’d go straight to Diagon Alley to go shopping, but considering nearly every store there has been destroyed, that’s no good. I don’t have any muggle money, so I can’t go to a muggle store. I sigh and lean against a tree. I have no idea what to do.

“Wait a minute,” I breathe. I bite my lip. I don’t know if it’s worth the risk.

I disillusion myself and disapparate to Hogsmead.

The whole place is crawling with dementors and death eaters. I hide in a small alley way and look out. Most of the shops seem to be open. The Three Broomsticks, Honeydukes, the Hogs Head… Zonko’s and the post office look as if no one has been there in years.

I sneak into Honeydukes and remove the disillusion charm. The owner looks up in surprise.

“You’re not a death eater,” she says. I shake my head.

“And you’re not from around here.”

“No.”

“I don’t want any trouble!” she cries, glancing out the window nervously, “if you’re on the run-”

“I’m not,” I assure her gently, “are you open?”

She chuckles humourlessly.

“If you can find anything worth buying,” she says, motioning to the bare shelves. I scout around and find a box of ice mice, chocolate frogs, Bertie Botts, liquorice wands and peppermint creams.

“Celebrating?” the lady asks as I pay for them.

“Trying,” I reply, “have to keep our chins up, I guess.”

“You!”

I spin around to the door, pulling my hood up as I do. A death eater is standing there, glaring at me suspiciously. I look down at the floor.

“Who is it?” another death eater asks.

“It looks like the Black girl,” the first death eater replies, “you, take off your hood.”

I take my hood off and shake out my dirty blonde hair. He grabs my face and looks at my blue eyes.

“It’s not her,” the second death eater says, “she’s dead, remember?”

“Mm.”

The exit the shop, slamming the door.

“I thought you weren’t on the run?” the shop keeper asks. I pick up my bag.

“I’m not running,” I say, “I’m dead.”

I shoot her a grin and disapparate.

“WHERE WERE YOU?”

George flies out the door and grabs me by the front of the jacket.

“I’ve been worried sick!” he cries.

“Chill,” I laugh, “I was birthday shopping.”

“By yourself? Don’t you remember what Dad said?”

“I forgot,” I tell him honestly. He shakes his head.

“Nothing happened,” I lie, “now come on, you probably woke most of the house up. And by the way, happy birthday.”