Chapter 14

I’d thought about this plan a million time I couldn’t tell it to Derick he’d want to be front and centre. I couldn’t have a next pack die because of me Legend or not and I couldn’t let these innocent people die because I had to get revenge for my people and I had to take over. I just couldn’t have it on my conscience.

It had been days since we told Paul and Sue the plan and three days after the news was given to them they disappeared out of the territory. They did come through in being traitors. I had been training like crazy grasping my powers and fighting skills but something didn’t set right with me and it kept me up.

Whenever I thought about Murphy or the council I felt the darkness creep up but Derick was there to guide me back. The nagging question of uncertainty weighed on my mind.
It had been a week now and the feeling was getting stronger and I just couldn’t figure out what it was and I wondered if something evil was coming. Night came and I looked out over the territory for some evidence of evil. But nothing showed and I retired to bed curling up beside Derick.

The mourning I had spoken little to none my mind was a buzz something was wrong. I still couldn’t figure it out. I sat in Derick’s library getting accustomed to spells. A scream echoed all over the territory it was almost deafening, but it wasn’t a banshee. I rushed out and over to where the crowd had gathered. A little girl lied there with her throat cut and a note on her forehead. ‘Bring us the Legend or this shall be the fate of you all.’ I read it. I took the little girl and brought her inside. I closed the door behind me.

“Hi princess I know you're still in there.” I said brushing her hair back. The door opened behind me and Derick came in and locked it.

“What are you doing?” He asked.

“I hear her inside.” I said. I bared fangs and bit my wrist. “Because I am the last you’ll not die you’ll live to fight for centuries.” I dripped the blood in her mouth.

“She’s gone Polly.” He said.

“She’s not!” I yelled. If she died it’d be my fault, this might happen to everybody in this pack the thing I feared the most I couldn’t let this happen. Not again I had to take matters in my own hands tomorrow night I’ll do it.

“I hear your thoughts Polly.” He stood beside.

“This is my fault.” I gestured to the little girl.

“It is not. The council are just intimidated by you.” He said.

“They almost killed a little girl. She’s a child she has nothing to do with it.” I cried.

“I know but they see her as collateral damage.” He hushed me.

“So when they kill out this pack to get to me it’ll be collateral damage? I can’t have that I couldn’t save my pack so I’ll save this one.” I said.

“There will be no collateral damage in this pack.” He said as if he could predict the future.

“You can’t tell the future.” I pushed away from him.

“I can’t but I have faith.” He said.

“Well fate has screwed me over more than once and I say screw three blind bitches.” I hissed. “I hate that you keep trying to change my mind when you know I’m not going to do as you say. I’m leaving tomorrow.” I said final.

“Dammit I’ll miss Mia.” He sighed.

“You’re not coming you need to stay here.” I told him.

“I always find it fascinating how you think you’re the one in charge.” He faked laughed.

“I am!” I yelled in frustration.

“Whatever floats your boat.” He laughed.

“I am serious.” I said my hands crossed over my chest.

“Oh and you think I’m not.” He looked at me stern.

“You can’t…” I trailed when I heard the steady breathing of the little girl.

“Hey honey how do you feel?” I asked her as she slowly sat up.

“I’m okay.” She looked at me confused.

“And your throat?” I asked.

“I want some water.” She said Derick went to the bathroom and got her a glass of water.

“Can you remember what happened?” Derick asked.

“I was by the creek throwing stones then…” she trailed off. “I don’t remember anything else.” she rubbed her head. “Did something bad happen?” She asked. Can’t really tell her she died.

“Oh nothing bad let’s go find your parents.” I said taking her down and held her hand as we walked out. I froze her eyes were open she saw them.
Murphy, Elizabeth, Paul, Sue and the six members of the High council. They stood over her body snickering.

“So we’ll try to scare them.” One of the members said.

“We’re going to kill them one at a time until they bring her to us.” Mr. Gap tooth said.

“Suppose they don’t give her up?” Murphy asked.

“Well we attack. Legend my ass we killed the last Legend he was quite exquisite.” The one that I held the knife to her throat said.

“We even killed the children of Legends.” A skinny one chipped in.

“She’s no legend it’s just a hoax to get us cowering.” Elizabeth chipped in. I’ll kill that bitch slowly.

“Suppose she is a Legend though?” Sue said.

“She isn’t.” Mr. Gap tooth said. I saw the fear in his face in all their faces trying to hide it with snide remarks.

“And what of Derick?” Paul asked.

“We’ll kill him. What is an Alpha without a mate?” The other woman said.

“May I have the honour of killing him?” Paul asked readjusting his jaw.

“Sure why not?” They shrugged.

“I want his mate.” Murphy said.

“Sure and this example with teach the other packs that compliance is rewarded.” They cackled. Others were rebelling against the council we hadn’t known that. Introduce a little anarchy upset the balance then you have bloody chaos.
I snapped back and so did Derick, he saw what I saw and we smiled. Things were going to be bloody on the battlefield.