Chapter 3

"This is the apartment. Headmaster keeps a steady stream of money to keep this place afloat, and I mostly hunt," Zero said as we stepped into the apartment. It was a small place. There was a large hole in the foyer wall. I started at it as we passed it.

"Oh, don't mind that; I did that when Headmaster Cross snuck in one day," he said as he stepped farther into the apartment while I stayed there staring at the gaping hole.

"Alright, I won't," I said as I poked my head through the hole in the wall and looked at the small kitchen.

"You can have the bedroom," Zero said as he walked into the kitchen and set his stuff onto the small table. "I hardly used it to begin with." He stared at me. "What are you doing?"

"You did this?"

"Yeah, I thought Headmaster Cross was a vampire," Zero said. He smiled when I saw my confused face.

"I thought he had a slight vampire aura about him," I said as I took my head out.

"Come with me," Zero said as he met me were the kitchen and the foyer met.

I followed Zero down the hall and stopped at the door on the left.  He opened it to reveal a messily made bed and a nearly spotless room.

"Yep, just how I left you, Zero," I said as I looked to him, "all clean except for the bed. You were always weird like that."

Zero just looked at me with a small smile and walked out of my new bedroom. After figuring out where his clothes were, I started to put my things away. My clothes went to the other side of the wardrobe. I liked the simplicity of my new room: wardrobe, bed, window, and a nightstand. I walked out when I was done.

"How is this going to work, Zero?" I asked while we ate dinner. I had forgotten how great of a cook Zero was.

Zero was silent for a minute. "I'm not sure."

"Am I going to be alone a lot?"

"No," he said instantly, "not a lot. I don't plan on leaving you here a lot. Remember, I am going to finish your training with you."

I stopped eating and looked at him. "Don't do that, Zero. Don't mind me here, really," I said as I shook my head. I was used to being alone and ignored from living with the Aido family and especially Kaname.

"I'm serious, Michiyo. I am not leaving you here alone." Zero looked to his plate and muttered something. "Michiyo, there is something I need to tell you."

 I set down the glass I was about to drink from and looked at him with wonder. "What is it?" I asked. Then I repeated, I have something to tell you too.

Just as Zero opened his mouth to speak, there was a knock at the door. Both of us bowed our heads and shook them. This always happened when we were eating dinner and there was some announcement to make.

"I'll go get it." Zero sighed a little and got up from the table.

He walked towards the door, and I sighed with relief. I didn't want to tell him just yet.

"What are you doing here?" I heard Zero ask from the door.

Before I could look up and see if I could see who it was from the hole in the wall in the kitchen, I heard footsteps. Zero and another man walked in. I stood up when I saw Zero. I felt my blood start to boil when I saw him staring back at me.

"What the hell are you doing here?" I demanded, forgetting he was Zero's master in the first place.

He just stood there and took it in, like every time else. "I was about to ask you the same thing. Last I heard only Zero was living here."

"You get news slowly. I live here now," I said with anger in my voice. I tried to make him feel what I did that night. I never knew if it worked or not. I only knew that it was decided today that I was living with Zero.

It's always been hostile between us. Neither of us wanted to look or speak to each other.

"Master, you wanted to talk to me?" Zero asked, interrupting the angered silence we formed.

"Yes, let's talk somewhere else," he said as he shot a look toward me.

Yagari placed a hand on Zero's shoulder. As they walked away, Zero turned back to me with a small smile on his face and something else in his eyes. Maybe it was the deep, dark secret he was keeping from me.

I sat in the kitchen and finished the rest of my food. As much as I wanted to listen in on what they were saying, I couldn't do that to Zero just yet. I'm not as comfortable with him as I was when we were twelve. I could only hear bits and pieces of their conversation. To had to do with someone and something else, a girl, not knowing. I had this feeling I wanted it to be me they were talking about.

"I'll be seeing you soon then, Zero?" Toga asked as they stopped in the kitchen.

I shot my head up when I heard his voice. I had no idea I fell asleep. I rubbed my eyes and looked toward Zero.

"Yeah." He looked toward me. "I won't be hunting much more. You can count on that."

"Fine then, Stupid Apprentice," he said as he put his signiture hat back on and left with his coat swaying behind him.

I rolled my eyes as he strut away. I looked toward the living room and stared at him until Zero regained my attention.

"I had no idea he was coming," Zero said as he pointed to the door. He sat down across from me. "How come you hate Master now?"

I looked down and tried to think of an answer. I wanted to tell him the truth. I couldn't bring up that night just yet. Ever since I saw Zero, that night has been brewing in my mind and wouldn't stop until I decided to change my last name to get rid of any ties I can control with my father.

"It's kind of a long story, Zero. It begins with one night and ends with our relationship today," I said, hoping he would ask another day and let me go to  bed. I hated that I need sleep more and more because of what's been happening with me since I was twelve.

"Fine, I'll ask another night," he said as he quickly finished his food. He looked at me with a blank expression. "I have to hunt down this vampire. Why don't you go to bed? You look tired."

I gave him a tired smile. "Okay, see you in the morning." I got up from the table and stretched. "Good luck tongiht, Zero."

He smirked a little. "Yeah, thanks."

I heard the door shut after he messed with a few things. I went to sleep almost right after that. I wanted to stay up until he got home. I wanted to know why I sensed a vampire aura about him. Last time I checked, Zero wasn't a vampire.