Chapter 2

“Michiyo, are there any other name people might know you by?” Headmaster Cross asked me as I walked out in my new uniform. I could do without the tie, or the skirt. I liked the male uniforms better. At least then I could hide my knife and my gun in my jacket or vest.

“Probably, but I haven’t used the name in eons,” I said as I stood in front of his desk pulling down the skirt to cover my legs.

“What is it? It’s just for your papers. Kaname-sempai spoke very highly of you and your abilities, which is why you didn't need to go through the entry preparations,” Headmaster said as his glasses galred against the morning sun.

I looked away from him and peered down. Not this again, I thought. “Yagari,” I said as I let out a deep sigh.

The headmaster stopped and looked up at me. “Yagari, like Toga Yagari, the vampire hunter...I mean, ethics teacher?”

“Yes, he was my father,” I said. Then I uttered, “Before the Kiryu incident.”

“Well, what name shall you be called then?”

“Kiryai,” I said confidently. “I would like no relation with my father.” I added, like all the other times when I was forced to give my other last name.

“Let it be that, then,” Headmaster said. He looked up from my papers and looked at me. "Zero will show you around.” The door to his office opened, and the white haired guy from the soirée appeared in the doorway. He was wearing the male uniforms. Is he stalking me now? “Kiryu, you will show her around like Yuki would, won’t you?”

Did he just say Kiryu? The Kiryu family is dead. He, being a retired vampire hunter with a record behind him, should know that.

“Yes, sir,” he said as he motioned for me to follow.

“One second,” I said as I stopped at the headmaster’s doorway. I stepped up to his desk, seeing the nail-like scrapes on the wood and a large crack going down the middle. “Headmaster Cross, where can I put my knife and gun?”

“Wherever you want, I guess,” he said as if he was taken back by my question. I admit that I'm not like other students, but he should know what kind of person I am based on my actual family name.

“And another thing, can I wear the male uniforms?” I asked seriously. I liked Zero’s uniform better.

“No, there is a reason for male and female uniforms. No trying to wear the other,” the headmaster said.

Feeling really disappointed, I asked my final question. “Do I have to stay in the dorms?”

“Do you have another place to go?”

“I can find one,” I assured him.

“Kiryai, stay in the dorms for now until you find another place to live.”

“Thanks, Headmaster,” I said as I walked away. I stopped at the nearest chair and placed my knife in the holster on my thigh and my gun holster in the shoulder holster under the jacket of my uniform.

I looked back up at Zero, who watched me. “I don’t want to be out of weapons if a vampire attacks,” I said as I followed him out the door. Zero just gave me a partial glare and shook his head. I slapped my palm to my forehead, that was the lamest excuse to carry my weapons I've ever given.

“So, what made you come to Cross Academy?” Zero asked as we walked to our first class.

“Kaname talked about it and it sounded great. I wanted to come,” I said. There was another reason I wanted to be here. If there was a retired vampire hunter here, I wanted to continue to train where I know I won’t be attacked by some vampire randomly even if the same retired vampire was wanted.