Chapter 7

I woke up comfortable and feeling like I did about five years ago after the Kiryu's died. I slowly sat up and rubbed my head where I know I hit the ground. I ran my fingers through my hair and looked around my room. Wait, how did I get to my room? I didn't honestly think Zero carried me back to the apartment. I thought he was joking about it.

"You're finally awake," Zero said as he walked into my room. I was shocked he was still in the apartment. I thought for sure he would go back to school. Oh wait, Zero hates school. "How are you feeling?"

If I told him what I thought I had, he would probably kill me. He hates anything to do with vampires. That includes what I have. I wanted to tell him then that way he could put me out of the misery of having to leave him again and find Kaname. I owed him my life.

"Alright," I said trying to keep it vague enough. "You didn't have to stay. I would have been fine on my own."

Zero shook his head. "No," he said. "I wanted to stay with you. I already told Master and Headmaster I was going to stay with you no matter what it was that you have."

Oh crap, you wouldn't if you found out what I have. Zero, I know you hate vampires with a passion because of what Shizuka did. You'd hate me too if you knew what I know.

"You're not afraid of getting it?" I asked. He might already have it for all I know and he's got a damn good way of hiding it.

Zero shook his head. "No, it's probably too late for me to get anything you have anyway."

That's a lie. He could get it anytime.

Instead of telling him the truth, as I should have, I leaned in and wrapped my arms around him, making sure he wasn't going to slip from me. Zero hugged me half-way. There was hesitation for a minute before he came in to the full hug. I wondered what he was thinking or doing. Zero hardly ever hesitates around me.

"I'm not going to let you go this time," Zero whispered almost inaudibly. I was shocked I could hear it.

As a response, I tightened my grip on him. He did the same when he felt mine. We stayed there, suspended in time, for a while. Neither one of us wanted to part from the other.

After we parted, Zero started checking for fever and other things making sure I wasn't human sick. When he was satisfied it was merely nothing and that I exhausted myself, he stared at me for a second. His grey eyes seemed full of concern and wonder and hatred.

"Do you want to go on a hunt with me? I don't plan on leaving you out of my sights for a while," Zero asked after a moment of silence between us.

"Sure, I haven't been hunting for a while," I said as I pulled back the covers and stood up.

"Great, go get ready and we'll take off," Zero said in an almost excited tone. For once, he sounded like his old, sweet, caring self. The self he was back when we were twelve and Shizuka was just a pureblood name we were forced to remember by Yagari. Just like the name Kuran. Now both names hold different meanings.

Zero left the room for me to change. As much as my uniform requires it, I hate skirts. They bother me to no end. Dresses are the same. I can't fight in them. I change into one of the pairs of jeans I still had and fastened my sheath for my knife loosely around my belt. I grabbed my anti-vampire gun and placed it in my holster under my jacket I was going to wear. I finished with putting on my favorite boots.

When I was done, I looked in the mirror. My eyes reminded me of my father's. The bastard that refused to let me vampire hunt. The rest was all me. I looked like a merciless vampire hunter, and I thought I was.

I walked out of my room and saw Zero clasping his gun holster where mine was. I smiled. Great minds think alike. He looked up when he saw me. I kept my gaze fixed at him and his anti-vampire gun. That was the most beautiful vampire hunting weapon I've ever seen.