Chapter 15

O-okay, I'll start with my past." Bubba began, eyes watery and rimmed with fear. He kept hidden in Marshall's chest quietly, taking a shaky breath. The vampire rubbed his back smoothly, waiting very patiently for him find his words and tell his story. Gumball had such trouble with this. He didn't know where to begin, and it was a lot to suddenly throw on Marshall all at once, especially now that he lost the memory of their relationship and Bubba himself. Deep down though, he knew Marshall was familiar with him, and loved him. After at least twenty minutes, Marshall calmly suggested a different topic.

"Why don't we start with why the heck I don't remember you, then work our way into the deep stuff. Does that sound okay?" The vampire was a totally different person when he was with Bubba. He was so calm and nice and patient, coaxing him through gentle persuasion. Any other person, and Marshall would just be a typical pain in the rear end.

"Oh, yes. Yes, that would be easier. Thank you for relieving the pressure off me." He mentioned appreciatively. Marshall nodded and smiled, his fangs showing a bit.

"Don't mention it. I am your forbidden lover..." He chuckles. Bubba nods and gives Marshall the entire recap of the day's events. It was just turning seven o'clock on the same day of the wedding, even though it felt like weeks ago to the prince. He gave a long description of the ceremony, what had happened after Marshall left, and what Marshall had done to himself. Bubba described how he and Fionna and Cake and Monochromicorn risked themselves to save him, how Bubba beat Death in a risky bet over a chess game, and how Cake slapped him in the face to motivate him to get on with his life. Marshall listened intently, eyes squinted slightly, as he tried very hard to remember this. He didn't doubt Bubba's story at all- after all, he only told the truth. After Bubba gave the spiel, Marshall kissed him gently. "I am all caught up now. Thank you."

"You don't have any questions? You aren't mad at me?"

"No, kid. Relax. I'm here to listen and be your rock. I want to get to know you on a deeper level than we were before."

"Y-yes, of course!" Bubba nodded quickly and kissed Marshall on his forehead. "What I am going to say may disturb you. You'll be the first person to know besides Pepper, myself, and the Candy King before me."

"Alright. I'll keep your secret safe. No need to worry." He blushed, feeling very important to be trusted with such classified information. "I'll keep you safe." He said with a definite promise. Bubba nodded and leaned on Marshall, relaxing his mind and body, embracing Marshall's presence before he began.

"I am not a natural born being. I was made in a laboratory by the Candy King to be his genius and clever creation that would rule the Kingdom after his passing. I am one hundred percent a project, created with sperm from a once living human man and the egg of a candy woman. I don't think either of them are still alive. He put them together and grew me." Bubba shivered very hard, disgusted by the thought of it. "As I became bigger in his womb simulator, he operated and rewired my brain to give me the power of intelligence, photographic memory, and so on. He prioritized my thoughts, feelings, emotions, behaviors, sexuality, likes, dislikes, and opinions all before I was even born. Obviously he made a mistake, because I was supposed to be wired to be attracted to women, but I am attracted to men. I am not my own true self. I am someone else's blueprints and planning brought to life. I am not my own person. I feel- I am- essentially, just a robot." Bubba wasn't crying yet, and didn't seem fearful or upset at all. More angry than anything else. Marshall stoked the back of his head softly, easing his pain a bit.

"I'm still listening. Be strong..." Marshall whispered softly, and Bubba relaxed a moment more before speaking up once more.