Chapter Six - The Book

"That basement was really creepy." said Ino. "Did you see those animals?" Sakura just sat on a pillow, knees up to her chin, looking down at the wooden floor. "Sakura, a-are you ok?" asked Ino. Now this was the first time Ino had actually cared about Sakura in a long time. "Sakura." Hearing this reply, she looked up at Ino. "I-I'm fine. I'm fine. Really." said Sakura, smiling. "Oh. Good." 

"Let's not go down there. Ever again." said Neji. "Right. The whole time we're here guys. We're not gonna go down the basement. No matter what. It might be too dangerous." said Naruto. "I'm gonna go outside." said Sakura, getting up from her pillow. "Don't wander off into the forest." said Naruto. "Don't tell me what to do." said Sakura as she closed the front door behind her.

It rains during the night. The water pitter patters on the roof and the windows. Some slowly leaks through the tiny holes left in the ceiling, dripping on the wooden floor. Sakura still remains outside, walking a circle, mumbling to herself. "This place gives me the creeps. I don't wanna be here. I shouldn't have come on this trip." Inside the temple, Lee sneaks into the basement while everyone else is sitting on the back porch of the temple. He opens the door to the room as a voice whispers in his hear,

'Release us.'

He enters the room and sits in front of the bloody pillowcase covered in thorn vines. He grabs a scalpel and slowly cuts off the vines. He opens the pillowcase and pulls out a book. Wrapped in human skin, with a screaming face on the cover. He opens the book, written on the inside page is the book's title in Japanese.

'Shisha No Sho'

He opens up the next few pages, looking at the creepy Japanese text and danse macabre illustrations. Messily written on the pages in red are obscene warnings from others. 

'THEY'LL CUT YOUR SOUL OUT!'

'MERCILESS SONS OF BITCHES!'

'DON'T READ THIS FUCKING THING!'

Lee continues to shuffle through the pages, looking at the extreme drawings of people cutting themselves with shirukens, shoving sticks, and more. Soon he comes across a page halfway through the book. He reads one sentence written on three corners of the page.

'DON'T WRITE IT!'

'DON'T HEAR IT!'

'DON'T FUCKING SAY IT!'

He sees scratched out words in the page. They're indecipherable, but they can be traced out. 

Outside, Sakura is keeping herself warm with the 'Inner Warmth' jutsu as the rain pours on the temple. She keeps looking around, as if she's looking for something watching her. In the back porch, Naruto tries to impress the others with a firebreathing jutsu, which he fails miserably much to Sasuke's delight. 

Back in the basement, Lee rips off part of a page and places it on the scratched out words. He picks up a coal from the ground and beings so rub it on the torn off page. Slowly, letters begin to appear on the paper. Lee pronounces the words as he rubs.

'Sanchi,'

Outside, an unseen force rages through the woods at neck-breaking speed.

Lee continues to rub and pronounce the words.

'Bokodai,'

The unseen force continues to rage violently through the trees, shrieking like a banshee.

'Hasawa'

It speeds up across the bridge, dodging some trees in the way, as Lee delivers the final word.

'Shi.'

The force arrives at the temple and spots Sakura in it's way and knocks her down, causing her to vomit.

"AAAAH!" screams Sakura, falling and puking to the ground. Her inner warmth disappears and she is splattered with mud as she looks around her. Nothing. The other genins at the back hear her scream and run to the front of the temple to find a muddy Sakura, picking herself up off the ground. Lee hears it too. He shuts the book and runs up the basement and slowly shuts the door as he walks towards the group. 

"Wh-what happened?" asked Naruto, as he runs to pick her up. "I-I-I don't know. I was only walking around and suddenly I felt something knock me down." stuttered Sakura. "It was probably the wind." said Ino. "Come on, let's hose you down and get ya inside." She tells everybody to back off as she performs a water jutsu.

But it doesn't work.

"W-What? Why isn't it working?!" asked a bewildered Ino. "Maybe because it's raining." suggests Hinata. "No. It works in the rain. It's like something's not letting us." said Ino. "Neji, did I reach my Chakra's limit?" Neji attemps Byakugan, it doesn't work. "My Byakugan's not working too. Something's is blocking us from using any form of jutsu." "This is weird." said Naruto. "Well, let's just collect rainwater in a bucket. Sakura can wash up with that. Later, we'll talk about what's not letting us use any form of ninjutsu." "Yeah. I'd prefer that." said Sakura. Everyone then went inside, but Sakura is stopped by something. She hears those words in her ear, with the same faint voice.

'Join us.'

She snaps out of it and walks inside, shutting the door behind her.