Chapter Two - Into the Forest

The seven Genins head into the woods. Halfway through walking, Sakura feels something watching her. She looks around nervously.

"H-hey guys, do you feel like you're being watched?" asked Sakura. The other genins look at her. "What're you talking about?" said Sasuke. "I-I don't know. I just have this feeling like something is watching us." said Sakura, squinting into the distance. "You're just scared 'cause you don't wanna go to the temple." laughed Naruto. 

At that, Sakura flushed with rage and flew at Naruto. "WHO THE HELL TOLD YOU I WAS SCARED?! IF YOU THOUGHT I WAS SCARED, I WOULDN'T HAVE COME ON THIS STUPID VACATION TRIP!!!!" Sakura then threw a jaw-breaking punch at Naruto's face, sending him flying farther on the path.

Naruto then yells from the distance, his voice echoing through the forest. "You didn't have to do that." He stands up, clutching his face. Hinata runs to his side. "N-Naruto? Are you o-ok?" Naruto looks at her, face swollen and red. "Yeah. I'm fine."  Hinata performs a healing jutsu, which deflates Naruto's red swollen face. 

Sasuke snickers as Naruto gets up. "YOU GUYS COMING, OR WHAT?!" yells Naruto across the path. The rest of the group catches up with Naruto. Naruto folds his arms and says to Sakura, "Well? Aren't you gonna apologize?" Sakura reluctantly says "Alright, alright, I'm sorry." And the group continues on their walk. 

Ino speaks up to Naruto for the first time on this trip. "Hey, Naruto. What's this place like anyways?" Naruto responds, "Well, it's a little run down, but it's a nice and small temple. Some people used to vacation there but stopped for some reason. It's got a swing, a large living room, three bedrooms, and-" Naruto walks into a tree and his face flattens against it. Sakura bursts out laughing hysterically and falls on the ground, still laughing.

Naruto pushes himself away from the tree and wipes his face, which has small fragments from the tree trunk. "Where'd that tree come from?" groaned Naruto. "Seems like a dead end." said Neji, scanning the path, which has ended in front of them. "Just great." mumbled Sasuke. "That fool of a genin lead us to a dead end."

Neji speaks up. "Wait. Let me use my Byakugan to find a different path." Neji performs the hand seal and shouts, "BYAKUGAN!" He looks around the path and finds a narrow, overgrown dirt path to the northwest of the tree. Neji snaps out of his Byakugan and points to the direction of the path he discovered. "Over there." The rest of the group looks to where his hands points. "There's a narrow path. It's kind of overgrown, but it might take us to the temple." Lee grumbles to the group, "Why can't we just run over the canopy to the temple?"

"That poses a problem, Lee." said Neji. "The area that the temple is in might be very densely covered by the canopy and we might miss it. I mean, look around. There's very little sunlight lighting up this path. We no other choice than to walk to the temple." "Oh, fine." groaned Lee.

The genins walked down the path, which seems to be overgrowing further and further they go into the forest. "Neji, I don't think we're on the a path anymore." said Ino. "We're just walking over grass now." "Just keep going straight. The temple is near, I can feel it." said Neji.

Sakura then gasped and froze in her place. The other genins looked at her. "W-What's wrong Sakura?" asked Hinata. "It's that feeling again. I'm telling you guys, something is watching us." said Sakura in a somber tone. Hinata whimpers and holds Neji's hand tightly. "N-Neji, use your Byakugan to check out what's watching us." Neji performs the Byakugan again and scans the forest but yelps in pain as his Byakugan is de-activated. He places his hand on his temple and informs the group. "Nothing is watching us. Even if they have an Invisibility Jutsu on, I could see them. There's nothing there."

"Come on, guys. Let's cut the crap and head to that temple. It's almost sun down." said Naruto as he walked onwards. "Let's get a move on guys." said Sakura as she and the rest of the genins followed Naruto deeper into the forest.