Chapter two

Chapter two

I unpack my clothes slowly hoping time would go fast, there was nothing in here to entertain myself with and I didn’t feel like wandering the corridors especially after what Daniel had just said. I pop the picture onto the wall above my new bed that was just as bland as the walls. Sitting back on my knees a smile creeps up onto my face for the first time in a long time. I try and remember the day in the photo I was only six, my hair in plats (my mother’s favourite hairstyle on me), I close my eyes and will myself to try and smell the scent of my father, the smell of cut grass and mint. The smile slowly fades, as I realise this year I won’t be able to visit his grave – I would be in here – because of my mother. It had been eight years since he died, I was eight when it had happened, I blamed my mother for it. Oh, how karmas a bitch. She had divorced my father two years before he passed, she knew he was ill, dying of cancer, she kept me away, didn’t tell me anything and because of her I never truly got to say goodbye to the man I loved dearly. A tear rolls down my face as I wonder what would have happened if he was here, I wouldn’t be in here that’s for certain. I swipe at the tear and turn away from the picture. I had half an hour to kill before dinner which I was dreading would never come.

I pick up a small book and read the title ‘Romeo and Juliet’, I smile Shakespeare’s plays are my favourite thanks to my dad, he was on the rise to become an actor and featured in many plays at the local theatre, he played Romeo when I was five and ever since then it had been my all-time favourite play. I read it slowly enjoying the words on the page.

“Lily dinner time.” Looking up I see Daniel has entered my room and as I look up to the clock I realise the time has flown by, I lay the book down on the page I was at and follow Daniel. Butterfly’s in my stomach as we walk the corridors. I begin to bite my nails, an old habit that I thought I had gotten rid of.

“A fan of Shakespeare or just bored stiff less?” I stare up at Daniel his opaque eyes looking down at me, a small smile on his lips.

“A bit of both.” I return the small smile as we walk down to the canteen. I hope no one looks at me. Daniel pushes the door open and I feel myself breathe; only a few people had turned on my arrival the rest were to engross in conversation or their meal. We walk over to the food counter and I hold back a gag, meat was in front of me.

“Are you okay?” His voice sounding worried.

“Yeah just – I’m a vegetarian that’s all.” His smile grows bigger and as a grumpy plump woman comes over Daniel orders.

“Can we have the pizza and mash please Julia.” She storms off and I smile a small thanks for Daniel, an irritating buzz of static cuts of whatever he was about to say.

“Daniel Grove speaking.” He speaks into the walky talky and soon the heavy accent of Palmer drools out of it.

“There’s a fight on the lawn, needs sorting too.”

“Can’t somebody else do it? I’m with Lily at the moment.”

“No there isn’t anyone else and I think Miss Anderson is more than capable of looking after herself.” He drops the button he was holding and the static disappears.

“Will you be alright here?” I nod not trusting my voice; I wasn’t a very good liar my voice seemed to rise whenever I did. I let him go, I couldn’t be babysat my whole time here. Soon Julia returns with the lunch and I mumble thanks as I go to the cutlery station, and of course it was all made out of plastic. I roll my eyes. A harsh pain enters my lower back and soon I trip and fall, face flat in my mash. Wiping the mash of my face I get up to a hall full of laughter, I feel myself begin to turn red from embarrassment.

“Oops.” A purring voice says from behind me, turning around I turn to see Gina with a sadistic smile on her ugly face. I could feel anger well up inside of me, all the anger from the last two months needed unleashing.

“I will give you oops.”

“Please don’t make me laugh Lily; you couldn’t even tackle a fly if you wanted. I’ve seen them bruises around your neck, someone get the better off you? Aww poor Lily, all defenceless.” Images of his ape like hands reaching out around my neck makes tears come to my eyes. And before I even realise what I’m doing my hand lashes out around Gina’s face knocking the smug looking smile off of it.

“Maybe I was wrong about you. Though you’re going to wish you never did that.” I hear footsteps running closer and soon they take me by my arms and lead me out of the room and into my own.

“Someone should call Daniel.” Says one of the guards before they close the door, and as I lean back waiting for Daniel to arrive I realise I had made an enemy on my very first day.