Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten (Nick's POV)

I felt awful.

Oliver didn't say a word to me after the movie, just murmured a quick goodbye, gesturing for Lucas to follow him. Lucas hesitated, flashed me a curious stare over his shoulder before running off after his cousin, the two of them practically vanishing in the crowd that had begun to file into the mall.

As soon as they were out of sight, I ran a hand through my hair in frustration. I just wanted to slam my head through a window- or maybe Ethan's. And of course, it only got worse when said asshole came up beside me from the theater.

"Don't talk to me." I stated. Ethan scowled at me, folding his arms over his chest.

"Fuck you. I wanna go home and in case you've forgotten, I live further out." He snapped.

"I'm tempted to leave you here."

"And your mother would slaughter you." He was right. The fact that he was right just made me even angrier. I don't understand why Ethan had to go from being an all right guy back when we were younger to the douche bag he was now. Nothing explained it. Ethan's live wasn't awful, save for the occasional trip to juvey, but only because he was stupid enough to get in trouble.

He was always doing stupid things, but never things as bad as he was doing now. They ranged from all sorts of idiocy and thinking about it didn't help. I just wanted Oliver back.

With his name in my head, my rage turned to depression as Ethan and I walked across the parking lot to my mom's silver 2012 Ford Escape. I got in the car, starting the engine as Ethan hopped in the seat beside me and we tore out of the parking lot onto the main road.

Oliver looked pretty shaken when he saw me get angry. I hoped he didn't blame himself for it. It was Ethan's fault, he'd done nothing. Of course, there was an angry part of me that wanted to blame him. Why'd he have to exist? Then I never would have fallen in love with him...

And the thought of him not existing made my chest ache. I probably wouldn't last long without Oliver. He'd been there for me when I almost snapped. I hadn't meant to spill those things out, but I felt the sudden weight of it hit me all at once. In all honesty, I wanted to wrap my arms around him and never let go, just... cry.

But I couldn't do that. It didn't matter how much you cried over something, it would never help the situation, the dilemma. It was a waste of energy to cry... But sometimes... I felt like a lot of energy being wasted on not crying.

"I don't like him." Ethan spoke up, snapping me out of my thoughts. I tensed up, my knuckles turning white as I clenched the wheel in my fists.

"Nobody cares what you like." I said past clenched teeth. Ethan glared at me for a second, then surprised me by looking uneasy.

"Nick. What the hell are you thinking? In case you haven't noticed, Oliver's a guy. Whether you guys have some thing going on or not, drop it. Just the other day you were shoving him in the hallway and now all of a sudden, you're hiding together in a public bathroom? What the hell, man?"

"It's none of your fucking business, Ethan, so let's drop it before I go on a suicide mission just to shut you up."

"Obviously I have to keep saying it. It is my business. We've known each other for more than half our lives, Nick. You're fucking everything up in your life and you're going to regret it. You're wasting your time on that brat."

"Shut up, Ethan."

"He didn't leave you a fortune just to throw it all away." Ethan seethed. I hit the brakes and we skidded on the wet road before I managed to pull off the side of the road. I whirled around to punch him in the face, but he caught my fist and shoved me back against the car door, glaring at me.