Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine (Oliver's POV)

"Tell me again why we're doing this." Lucas asked dryly, peeking out the window of my Mercedes as we pulled into the mall parking lot.

He looked even smaller wearing one of his dad's black college sweatshirts that hung down almost to his knees, matching his jeans and bulky motorcycle boots. He also looked exhausted, his eyes hooded as he yawned every so often.

"I needed a cover so I could see Nick. All you have to do is tell my parents we went out." I replied as I parked the car.

I know, I know. I shouldn't be doing this to them, but I think it was my turn to do a little sneaking after the huge secret that hid from me. The secret that still had me churning, so much that it was the reason I asked Nick to come out here to meet me. I needed to tell someone and who better to tell than my boyfriend?

Oh, right. I'm sorry.

Secret boyfriend.

The idea made me roll my eyes as we got out of the car and headed into the two-story mini-mall that sat at the center of our small town, Ravenwood. It wasn't very crowded seeing as it was a Sunday and the college students nearby were studying for finals. It was mostly adults, slacking college students, and a couple of high school students from Ravenwood and Jensen, the next town over.

"What am I supposed to do while you and your boyfriend cuddle? I feel like a third wheel." Lucas mumbled as he nibbled on the end of his sleeve, dark, dark blue eyes searching the shops as if he were expecting something to jump out at him.

"We're not cuddling, we're talking. I gave you twenty bucks to go entertain yourself."

"Woof woof." Lucas muttered sarcastically. Apparently, that was his way of saying he hated being treated like a dog. I wasn't treating him like that, I just needed an excuse to come to the mall and Lucas was the only one nice enough to do it. Of course, not without payment.

That was one thing I hated about our family. We were always making deals involving allowances and seeing as Anya was taking my next allowance, I was nearly broke.

We weaved past the little shops at the center before heading for the book store. My eyes scanned the store until I caught sight of Nick sitting in a fluffy chair near the comic books, but I stopped in mid-stride to see Ethan leaning on the wall beside him, saying something that was making Nick tense and annoyed. I could see it in his shoulders.

"Shit." I muttered. Lucas gave me a curious look, then followed my eyes toward Nick and Ethan. His eyes glinted and started to go towards them, but I caught the back of his sweatshirt and pulled him behind a shelf beside me.

"Hey," I snapped, letting go of him when he gave me a glare, "You may like messin' with sasquatch, but I prefer to avoid him. We can't go over there with Ethan there."

"Why not?" Lucas asked calmly, his eyes drifting back toward the football players that looked so out of place amongst the comics, or reading material in general.

"Are you forgetting the fact that he threatened me?" I demanded. Lucas cocked his head for a second, then shook it before he looked back toward the boys before turning to me now.

"I can get Ethan to leave so you can talk to Nick."

"He'll squish you like a bug, Lucas."

"He won't."

"You're awfully cocky for a midget."

"I'm five foot four. I'm not a midget."

"Okay, whatever you say, Napoleon."