Chapter 15. Alarm!

Chapter 15. Alarm!

Just as Schield leaned into Autumn's embrace, the serene sound of rippling water was shattered by a harsh Whoop! Whoop! Whoop!

He jumped away from her faster than she thought humanly possible, leaping from the hot tub onto the narrow stone wall separating it from the larger pool. He deftly ran to the edge and onto the surrounding walkway. Looking absently over his shoulder, he said, "Come on Autumn, we have to go. Now!"

Breaking out of her stunned immobility, she responded in kind, though gracelessly fell into the pool. She flailed through the water to the edge and levered herself out. Schield was already buttoning his pants, running toward the door.

"Come on!" he yelled when he found Autumn bending to pull on her longjohns. She pulled them up and reached for her long smock, tugging it over her head. He was out the door barefoot at a sprint. She quickly gathered their shoes and the rest of their clothes, realizing it must be an emergency, because his boxers were still on the ground. She followed the wet footprints up the stairs and through the now frigid stone hallway, running as fast as she could while working her arms through her top and trying not to drop any clothes. She spotted Schield as he went through the door to the medical wing. Putting on a burst of speed, she cried, "Schield, wait! Where are we going."

He poked his head back through the door, and waited a moment for her, taking only his boots from her full arms. Popping his feet into them, he said, "That is the alarm for a possible intrusion. We need to get to the control center to see what's going on. I've sent a mental probe, but can't find anything."

She silently followed him through the halls, putting up mental walls around her mind, worried at his words. Carefully, she slowly opened a few mental channels. Mentally, she sought out her children, a habit she had cultivated when she was learning to control her telepathy. Rae was adept and answered back, 'I'm with Cole and Trevor with the rest of the children. They took us to the basement.'

Autumn sent back her sense of relief, masking her anxiety at not being with her children. She realized all adults would likely have a responsibility in an attack, and if there were casualties, her medical skill would be needed. She was close on Schield's heels as he entered a large, high-tech room with several monitors on the wall. Vijay was present as well as Doug, Lucien and Grant. Not seeing her best friends, she sent her thoughts out to them. Justice and Miki replied in kind, letting them know they were with the children, with the merest mental contact needed.

Schield's straight, strong back became her focus as she followed him toward the center of the room. From out of nowhere, Rose appeared, producing a blanket and wrapped it around his shoulders, rubbing his arms as if she were trying to dry him. He shrugged her away with a curt "thanks".

Rose did not let her bright smile falter until she turned and saw a soaked Autumn, half dressed and holding the rest of his clothes. Then her face became thinly veiled disgust as she slowly backed away from the group of men.

"Doug, bring me up to speed. What's going on?" Schield asked as he shoved the wet hair out of his face, his voice deep and in control. His eyes scanned the monitors Autumn could not make sense of, darting back and forth, a frown creasing his brow.

Lucien and Grant flanked Schield as Doug briefed them. Lucien gave Autumn a small smirk before becoming completely stone faced, and Grant nodded her way. Maybe she was not supposed to be there, but Schield had not told her otherwise. And she could not remember what she had been told those first few days they had been there as to where to go in this type of situation.

"...been watching the activity for a few days, but the cluster seems to be consolidating and moving toward us," Doug said, drawing her attention with the last three words.