Chapter 10. Whistle While You Work

The next day, Autumn was awakened by another person knocking. She groaned inwardly to herself. What a nice dream she'd been having. She couldn't exactly remember it, but the afterglow of waking up in the midst of the dream left her a warm tingly feeling all over. Smiling, she remembered who was to wake her this morning.

Raching out for the pocket watch she had recovered at a looted pawnshop, she snapped it open and checked it: 5:45 a.m. She stood and stretched quickly, mechanically winding the watch while she tiptoed quickly to the door. Was this how early they would be getting up every morning? Hopefully not, she had hoped to catch up on sleep now that she was no longer being pestered by Ansel at night, and did not have to worry about him suddenly appearing again. Carefully, Autumn unbolted the locks and peeped through a small crack until she was sure it was Schield on the other side.

"Morning," he said, the spark back in his eyes. "Did you sleep well?"

"Morning to you," Autumn replied, "and yes, I slept well, just not as long as I wanted."

"You like to lay in every morning?" Schield asked with surprise.

"No, I just wanted to catch up on sleep a little, don't you think I'm lazy," she answered, reaching out an arm to poke him in the shoulder.

"Ow," he cried softly, feigning hurt. "Get ready, I want to show you something."

Curiosity piqued, Autumn latched the door in his face, and rushed to pull on a pair of cargo pants over her long underwear, and a sweater with some snagged holes in it. She ran her hands through her hair, regretting not having  a light in the bathroom to check her reflection. She pulled it back into a short ponytail, then pushed her arms into a jacket. Moments after the door shut in his face, Schield was rewarded with a beaming smile as Autumn opened the door, then closed it quietly behind her, locking it.

"Your friend make it home alright last night?" Schield asked, leading Autumn down the hall away from the main stairs. He cast her a knowing grin.

"What do you think?" she teased. Justice had come to the room like a lovesick schoolgirl about half an hour after Schield had gone, and had talked into the night about Lucien. Apparently they had made the most of the rest of the night talking and getting to know one another. "Yes, and she about made me sick, gushing about Lucien. That is so unlike her. I would have expected her to shoot him down from the start."

"I understand she approached him about her gun and that is what got them started talking. Lucien was appalled that someone who knew so little about weapons had been carrying one. He started teaching her about her gun and that was all it took, apparently. He feels she is very smart," Schield answered warmly.

"Justice is very smart. She can put anything together if she takes it apart, even some things that she hasn't. She really likes to figure out what makes something tick," Autumn revealed.

"She found what 'ticks' with Lucien. He can't wait to start working with her at the engineering building."

"That was such a good assignment for her. Finally, she'll get to put her talents to good use. Bill used to tell her she was too smart for a woman, and if she tried to do anything, he would beat her up for acting smarter than he was," Autumn said earnestly.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Finding a niche is what we hope to achieve for everyone. She won't be treated poorly with Lucien. Are you pleased with your assignments?" Schield said, the muscle in the side of jaw jumping as it clenched in anger at her revelation.

"Oh, yes! I told Lila my assignment was exactly what I am good at. I hope I can live up to expectations. I don't really have that much healing ability, but I know my way around herbs. Where are we going?" Autumn asked as Schield led her up a back staircase.