Chapter 8. A New Day

Autumn awoke to the sound of tapping. Briefly, disorientation filled her and she did not know where she was. She stayed very still until her escape from Wayside flashed through her mind. The tapping became more insistent and she sat up, realizing someone was knocking at her door. She padded to it and unlocked the two locks she had set the night before. She opened it slowly and peeked out to see Miki and Lila standing on the other side.

"Good morning, Aut," Miki said with a bright smile.

Autumn opened the door wider and said, "Morning. Is everything alright?"

"It's ten in the morning. We let you sleep in awhile, as I'm sure you're all exhausted, but we need to get started with your integration into our ranks," the small older woman said.

"Oh my! I haven't slept so late for years! I had no idea. Why is it still dark in here, though?" Autumn asked, looking at what at least last night she was sure were windows. The drapes were pulled, but no light shone around the edges.

"We had them shutter your windows early this morning so you could get rest. We can open them again if you'd like," Lila filled in.

"How nice of you. Are you always this conscientious here? I haven't been treated this kindly since...well, since before my first husband died of the plague," Autumn said, a bit choked up.

Lila patted her arm and moved into the room. "It's alright, dear. You aren't the first one here who we helped escape. Even though you are all unique, something about fleeing for your life takes it out of you. We've learned what you need."

"Thanks, Lila," Autumn said.

"Shall we wake the rest of the sleepyheads?" Lila said, all business.

"Rae. Colton. Wake up, you two," Autumn called as she made her way to the bed they shared. Rae was curled on the edge of the bed, as Colton was sleeping crosswise in it, taking up most of the mattress.

Rae sat up pulling blankets around her, rolling Colton in the process. Colton just mumbled and curled up into a ball.

"Kids, it's time to get up! We have to go exploring today and see our new home!" Autumn said enthusiastically, trying to get them to wake up.

Justice had sat on the side of the bed when Autumn had called the children, stretching her arms over her head and yawning.

"Mornin' everybody," Justice called sleepily. "Best night sleep I've had since I can remember. Nobody tried to mess with me and I had the most wonderful feeling last night as I drifted off, almost like somebody was giving me a big hug and making me feel peaceful. You wouldn't know anything about that would you, Autumn?"

Justice was eyeing her friend curiously. Autumn was a bit surprised Justice was describing the images she had sent her friend before going to sleep. Maybe she did have something special after all. Autumn shrugged at her friend.

"I just was thinking I wanted you to feel safe and loved last night. Without you, we wouldn't be here right now, I don't think," Autumn said.

Miki had been quiet this whole time, but spoke up, "Autumn, were you thinking of sending those feelings to only Justice? Because Vijay and I both felt an overwhelming sense of peace and love last night when we were going to bed. Surely that wasn't you, was it?"

Autumn began to feel uncomfortable with the scrutiny placed on her. She said, "I didn't intend to send it all over, but I'm glad you felt it too. Of course I love the two of you also."

"So you are the one that filled the place with the warm fuzzies. You will need to learn to reign that in, Autumn. Power that strong can be dangerous if you don't know how to manage it," Lila spoke up, as she seemed to see Autumn with new eyes.