Chapter 22

Tactic meetings are never interesting or easy, but i was stuck in one. We were trying to anticipate the Redcaps moves, but there plans kept changing, even as we sent spies into their midst, we were constantly one step behind.

“Whichever way we choose to play it our forces are vastly outnumbered.” I growled, gripping the table will all my force. With a loud crack one fistful of wood broke away in my grasp, Gannon pushed away my other hand before another followed.

“But unmatched. Our skills surpass theirs, we have bowman, swordsmen, horsemen and Mermen.” Leofrics said boldly, counting off his list on his fingers.

“As do they!” I snapped. How could he be so blind? This was no the moment for idle pride, it was the time to accept that we were either equally matched or weaker then our enemies.

“They do have the upper hand when it comes to sheer ferocity.” Cuthwulf nodded. “We must use it against them.”

“How?”

The room was quiet as we contemplated, but it seemed every route was blocked. If we planned out our every strategy we would be slaughtered and at a loss is all fell apart. Their senses were keen enough that ambush was not an option.

The voice which broke the quiet was low, as if the speaker already knew the implications of their proposal but chose to offer it anyway.“Beserkers.”

I turned slowly to face the direction from whence the voice had come and my eyes fell upon Aelfgar. “You know that is not an option.”

“I have it on good word that the Red Cap forces are heading further north, both pillaging and recruiting. It won't be long until they reach Dreor Caves.”

The name of the place was enough to send shivers down my spine. “Not but a fool would venture there.” I hissed. “Berserkers would kill you as soon as look at you.”

“You say we are out manned now, imagine our plight if they forge an Alliance. Think not only of your people but of mine. Deorc Cynedom is hardly an hours ride from the Caves. We are well known allies once again Aelfric, where else is better for the Red Caps to test their new found forces then on my people?”

I shook my head. “They'd never agree.”

Aelfgars demeanor changed, he was pleading now.“They've done it before.”

“Only with those whom they are forced to share borders.”

“Let me try, if i die then i die for my people.”
“If you die you die a fool.” Aelfri murmured, rising from his seat at the head of the table. “But not alone. I agree to your proposal, take twenty men.”

I wheeled to face him, incredulous. We couldn't afford to loose twenty men. He knew that. My eyes bored wholes in the old mans skull but he refused to meet my gaze.

“I hope you will excuse me saying that what we could gain would out way that which we could loose.”

Aelfgar swept a low bow. “Of course, thank-you, my king.”

I could not contain my anguish as he hastened from the chamber and brought my hands down with the force of Thors hammer upon the table. “You send two dozen men to certain death in the hope of ferals?” my voice was a loud and venomous snarl, no longer retaining any ounce of self control.

“Patience, son. Think as a Prince and not as a person.”

“A prince is a person.”

“Not. In. War.” He boomed, matching my volume. “Sit. Down. You think I have not faced such Hordes a hundred times before? You think i have not seen good men die? My people suffer?”