Chapter 2

I bustled around making the final adjustments to the meal I had just spent an hour cooking. I had burnt myself three times cut myself twice and spilled countless things countless times all over an annoyingly calm Aelfric.

“You should calm down.” He said, ever mellow.

“I can't its not going right!” I wailed.

“I'm sure they won't mind.” He said wrapping his arms around my waist and try to placate me.

Joel and Lauren were coming over and I was slightly to into making a good first impression. I didn't like it when people didn't like me and it would be a big problem if I had a bust up with my best friends girlfriend.

“Go get changed your covered in food, I’ll Finnish this.” He took control of the kitchen to my protest and chased me toward the stairs with a wooden spoon covered in pasta sauce. “Go.” He warned still laughing slightly.

I sighed in defeat and did what he said. Upstairs the air was cooler and I was almost able to relax, I could still here Aelfric down in the kitchen. That was somewhat comforting to me, I had been on tenterhooks for the last few weeks paranoid that he would leave again. He had stuck to his word and barely left my side but I still found myself listening out for his presence when we were in separate rooms.

Sighing again I hurried into my room and gazed around for a moment. I gasped, what had I done? It looked like a bomb site! I guessed I hadn't been paying much attention to it recently I would sort it tomorrow morning or later on this evening. Either way it would have to be clean before my parents got home in a few days time.

I found a little white dress I had forgotten about in my wardrobe. I had bought it the summer before but I hadn't done much growing since then and it fit fine. It was sleeveless fell to just above my knees. White lace over white cotton tied at the waist by a thick ribbon. I didn't bother with shoes, I was in my own home after all, and turned straight to the mirror.

I rushed to the bathroom to wash the splashes of sauce off my face then straight back to my bedroom to brush through my hair.

The doorbell went and any modicum of calm I had moment before was obliterated. What if she didn't like me? What if the food wasn't cooked right? What if what if what if was all that my mind could come up with.

I shook myself to regain my composure and smiled at my reflection. It wasn't great but it would have to do.

I heard Aelfric going to get the door and hastened down the stairs to his side. He made to glance down at me but his gaze stuck.

I blushed, “Do I look okay?”

“You look beautiful.” He said his eyes tracing over me and settling on my eyes.

I slipped my hand into his and squeezed gently, he returned my squeeze and we took a deep breathe. Up until then he hadn't seemed rattled at all by all of this.

I raised a hand to the door handle and pushed down it swung open to reveal an impatient Joel and smiling girl beside him.

She was small and slender with shotulder length straight mouse brown hair and tan skin. Her hazel eyes were shinning with what could either been nerves of genuine happiness. Judging by the way she was clinging to Joel I decided on a mix of both. Her eyes turned to saucers when she saw Aelfric, I smirked proudly and drew back to let them in.

“It's nice to see you again Joel.” Aelfric said formally and extended a warm hand.

“Yes, it's been a while.” Joel seemed to forget about me and Lauren and just struck up a conversation with Aelfric.