Chapter 4

Aelfric drove me to college with the windows rolled down, it was time to restart my human life. To get back to normality. We had called ahead to make sure it would be all right for me to jump straight back in and it was. But I had a lot of work ahead and a lot of catching up to do. I had missed months of work, and several tests and my tutors weren't exactly pleased.

I sighed as I mulled it all over, at the rate it was going I wouldn't be able to spend any time with Aelfric. The idea made me frown, I caught Aelfric peering at me in my peripheral vision as though asking me a silent question.

“What?”

“Nothing.” He shrugged locking his eyes on the tarmac ahead.

I sighed, I hated it when he never said what was on his mind, then again at times I was just as cryptic.

“What are you going to do while I'm at college?” I asked pushing the slight annoyance to the back of my head.

It was his time to frown now, he glared at the road. “Become copiously bored.” He decided and began nodding.”So bored I’ll be forced to get a job.”

I groaned. “We'll never see each other again like this! I'll be blinded by homework and you'll be tied down at the office.”

“Hayley, could you really see me working in an office?” He asked. “Let alone being so absorbed by said office that I wouldn't rush to see you the instant you were free whether you wanted me to or not?”

I laughed. “You never know. Your very determined, you might like work.”

“In an office?” He asked disbelieving. “Me? In a suit? Behind a desk? In a cubicle? Answering phones and mashing key boards?”

I caved smiling.“Point taken.”

“I might do something a little more...close to home. I mean how many desk jobs are there around here anyway?”

He was right of course, we were out in the middle of nowhere. I couldn't see him working anywhere if I was honest with myself. It was just such a bizarre though, even though I knew he was know human. He's elven side still sometimes reared its valiant head. I cherished those moments, they seemed to be becoming few and far between.

Then again my parents would be home the next day and the more human he seemed the better. Even so I wasn't sure how I would present him to them. How would they even react to me having a live in boyfriend? Or any boyfriend for that matter? I hadn't had one since I was fifteen and there hadn't exactly been any love in the picture at the time, just awkward silence.

“How the hell will any of this work?” I exclaimed, I couldn't puzzle through it on my own.

“The same way you and I do. We are improbable, yes. As is our situation, but if the worst comes to the worst I can hunt down two opals.” He shrugged his shoulders and ran his hands around the wheel as he spun us into a parking space.

I sucked in a sharp breath. “But- I...You? But! What?”

“Your not ready to be an Elf, I know. I'm not asking you to. That would be a worst case scenario, if humanity doesn't quite work out.” He promised turning to face me and patting my knee. His hand lingered for a few moments, his expression soft. “I would never force you into-”

“If you wanted me to I would.” I blurted. “I just...I would need some time.” I struggled to find the right words.

“Hayley, even if something goes wrong my family are our fail safe. They can glamour people. They can get me a job, you your A-levels, us a house. Anything.” He smiled. “Elven life is our very last resort.”