Disappeared

Thanks so much for all the comments and votes on the last chapter! You guys made my day when I saw that this story has over a thousand reads already! Love you all!

________________________________________________________________________________

Jacob's POV

I felt really horrible about having to tell Bella to leave. But that was nothing compared to the pain I felt when I got back from the garage and Billy told me the bad news.

"Jake, what exactly did you say to Bella?" he asked me as I walked into the living room.

I wished he wasn't bringing this up. "I told her that I couldn't hang out with her for a while." I said glumly.

"I thought so. I just got off the phone with Charlie, and he says Bella's packed up and gone back to her mother."

My eyes shot wide open. "What?" I exclaimed. He had to be kidding.

"She left a few hours ago...she's on her way to Phoenix." Billy told me.

My hands reached up to grab fistfuls of hair. I sank onto the couch. "I can see why she did this. It's all my fault."

"No it's not, Jacob. Charlie said she's been planning to move out for weeks already." Billy tried to soothe me.

"No, this is why she left. She had something to tell me, and I wouldn't let her. I made her go home."

Bella hadn't believed me when I told her I still felt the same way, I guess. Maybe I hadn't realized it then, but I should have made it more clear. Now I had probably lost her forever.

"She wasn't the one for you anyway." Billy said. "You didn't imprint on her when you saw her today, Jacob."

I didn't respond. I knew he was right, but there was a bond between me and Bella. A bond that I couldn't ignore.

Billy mistook my silence. "No, Jake, don't even think about going after her. She's fine. You'll find someone else, and so will she. This is for the better."

"No it's not!" I yelled, slamming my fist down onto the coffee table. It shuddered but didn't give away. "I'm still in love with her!"

"Jacob, you can't go after her...she's already proabably in the next state. Youy won't catch up to her."

"I could..." I mumbled.

"Even if you did, Jake, she chose this. She'll be happier this way."

He was right again, I had to admit. So I stayed on the couch, looking at the TV but not watching it. I sat with my dad for several hours in silence before Billy went to bed. As he left, he switched off the lights, leaving me by myself in the dark.

The cold woke me up later in the night because I didn't have a blanket. I dragged myself off the couch and turned off the TV. Then I went to my room to sleep some more.

I was woken in the late hours of the morning by a knocking on my door. "C'mon Jacob, get up." Quil said from the other side of the door. "Time for patrol."

I mumbled incoherently then lifted myself off the warm sheets. The sun was shining from high in the sky through my window. I looked at the clock.

"Crap." It was already eleven. I was late for my shift.

I walked to the door and flung it open. The pack had started patrols when Sam had found a vampire track a few weeks ago. It had just gone on one corner of our land, but we had to keep our eyes peeled to protect our people. So far there were no more tracks so today we were going to explore some of the Cullen's former turf.